Hopkinton-Everett Reservoir

Hopkinton-Everett Reservoir is a 14.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Dunbarton, NH that features a lake. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and mountain biking.

this place seems misleadingly simple and plain, but just veering off the trails can lead to a multitude of adventures. there's great spots to scale rocks to access amazing views. the scenery can shift dramatically around every bend, offering a fresh and unique hike.

My original plan was to hike the multi-use trails around Stark Pond, north east of the reservoir itself. This included the Stark Pond Loop, Hang Glider Hill, Bassett Mill, and the Choate Brook trail, to get in ten miles. Fortunately, the directions I had (77 to 13 to Winslow road to parking area at Stark pond) were bad. The bridge connecting Winslow road to the parking area is closed, meaning you cannot get to the parking area, and no parking is allowed on Winslow. This forced me south to the Clough State Park parking area at the Everett Dam, which turned out to be a good thing, as all the multi-use trails up around Stark Pond were slammed with ATV and motocross bikes, which would have greatly complicated my hiking (according to parks and recreation, you can hike on these trials, but motorized traffic has the right of way and hiking is not encouraged, nor is biking during peak season).

The area around the reservoir has several multi-use trails, but didn't have nearly the same level of traffic and it would have been possible to complete this hike sticking to the gravel roads in the area, but wouldn't have been nearly as pretty. As it was I did quite a lot of bushwacking, getting stuck in the mud, and having to route around several small rivers, which may have been passable during lower water months/weeks, and ended up adding another 2.5 miles to my travel distance (not shown on the track I uploaded, thanks to multiple gps). The track shown keeps mostly to trails, near the roads, and ends up on the causeway.

I enjoyed the hike, though I will admit the hike up the dam, after 8 miles of hills, was a bit brutal.