Flume Slide Trail

Flume Slide Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, NH that features a river and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and snowshoeing and is accessible from January until January.

old growth

This trail starts off very easy, about 3 or so miles of flat ground getting to flume but then the trail turns into the stairway to heaven, followed by a nice section of rock scramble to the top. The view from flume was amazing but view from liberty was even better. Great hike and it took me and my buddy just over 5 hours to complete (we hike pretty quick though).

If you're looking for a trail that will challenge you in different ways, force you to conquer some fears, and then reward you in a spectacular way...look no further! The trail starts deceptively easy, with pretty gentle grades and good footing over the first couple of miles. There is one somewhat confusing spot where you cross a river on your right, and then actually need to cross back to the left - we went a bit beyond the crossing by accident, so if you see what looks like a river crossing, it probably is! There are few blazes in the upper parts of the trail but after the crossing on the left it's fairly obvious you're on a well used route. The trail starts to become rockier and steeper, and then the real fun begins! The slide is probably the most challenging thing I've ever "hiked", and I put that in quotes because I was definitely using every single body part in a wide variety of ways to traverse some sections. It had rained the day before we went, and in some spots the rock was EXTREMELY slippery and a bit scary to traverse - mostly scary in an exhilarating way, but there were several places where I found myself relying on roots and trees to stabilize myself, or where I'd have to backtrack after picking a questionable route. I would definitely recommend this trail only to those who have some hiking experience and who are fairly bold. I don't consider myself to be overly daring but you definitely have to be willing to take a few risks to get through some of the trickier sections. After a long stretch of the large slabs, the trail reverts back into something that more resembles a "trail" with large boulders and rocks before you hit the sign indicating the junction of multiple trails, and indicating that you've made it up the slide - success! It's a short hike with some outstanding views over cliffs and ledges to reach the summit of Mount Flume. Overall I would definitely recommend this hike - it's an exciting climb with a really wonderful payoff.

Very rewarding! You can be proud of yourself once completed. Bring proper shoes and only hike up flume slide not down!

Highly rewarding hike with spectacular views. Went into this as an inexperienced hiker and both my husband and I were challenged. Bring plenty of water and cross the summit over to Liberty mountain. We were advised by local hikers not to use Flume Slide to travel back down, as the trail is unsafe. We looped around and came back via the Liberty Springs trail. Be sure that there has not been recent rainfall

Hard but very rewarding trail. Gorgeous day. Incredible views from the summit

Very hard workout. Awesome views from the summit.

très belle endroit a visiter

Bonne randonnée

April 2,2016 WOW!!! Hubby and I are in our 40's and pretty physical so didn't think anything of going up this trail and hiking over to the liberty mountain and down liberty springs trail. we had spikes with us so we thought we were all set. HA!! Not so much. dry for the first two miles then some crunchy snow for a mile then came the huge ice build ups on the trail. Very scary!!!! Not for the faint of heart. The spikes were like ice skates on the frozen ice. we ended up bushwacking as it was to dangerous to pass and to dangerous to turn back. Excellent adventure however, I think I am all set with doing again. Happy hiking and as always be safe. :)

In 1983 we hiked this trail with a 10 year old girl and a 12 year old boy. We were 39. Once you get started up we could not go down without ropes. We were stuck with having to go on. A family legend was created. Do not take children on this trail!! We could barely walk for a week from sore legs. Glad we did it, but never again.

Wow, first ever rock climbing trail... wow. Make sure you do not try after rain, give it a day to dry out. It was an amazing experience, highest peaks so far. I believe we are getting addicted to the higher peaks, such a reward at the end to see those views.

This trail is no joke !! Supper steep once you hit the slide , but lots of fun to be had on it !!

Carefule during mud season. Swallow you whole like quick sand haha! Its fun to swing frombranch to branch like monkeys on the way down, quick and light on your feet.

I have to agree with Shelby I don't recommend coming down from Flume on this trail very steep and lots of loose rock and wet ledges. amazing views from the summit, even saw a female moose walking around in the ravine on the granite slides.

Awesome trail! If you're hiking Flume and Liberty, I recommend hiking up this trail and summiting Flume first. This trail is very steep and I cannot imagine going down it, especially if it had rained recently.