Arethusa Falls and Frankenstein Cliff Trail

Arethusa Falls and Frankenstein Cliff Trail is a 4.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bartlett, NH that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Bartlett, NH: Travel north approximately 12 miles on US 302 to the park entrance. Soon after entering the park, you will see a parking lot on your left specifically for this waterfall trail.

We did the Falls last year only after attempting to go up Frankenstein Cliffs the day before. I had unwisely taken the family up that way in November (6 and 8 year old with us) without doing enough research. Had to turn back after the trail got more and more treacherous. Wet leaves on the way down didn't make it any easier. Without kids, we would have powered through, but there were several exceptionally dangerous wet slippery rock faces to cross that were literally perilous for kids.
Not wanting the trails to get the better off us, we went back and did the falls the next day and loved it. Well trafficked and maintained trail. Only saw a few others, which made it feel more special. Headed to Mt. Willard for a universally agreed easy hike with good views tomorrow, and might try something harder before heading home if the rest of the family is up for it.

Excellent hike with a beautiful waterfall. You can spend and hour or spend the day depending on what trails you take.

A beautiful hike. Arethusa Falls was great and the view from Frankenstein Cliffs was amazing.

Beautiful.

We did this great trail counter clockwise. It is a great work out since the first part is pretty steep. The views from the summit are breathtaking. There was not a whole lot of water in the falls. Not many hikers on the Frankenstein part but it was heavily trafficked on the Arethusa part. Great hike!

Great trail. Moderate difficulty. I took my 1 year old dog on his first hike here 2 weeks ago and he loved it too! There wasn't much water to be seen at the falls because of the drought but I'll definitely be back!

Great trail. Took the Bemis trail along the brook and then a tough vertical climb to rejoin the main trail. Hung out at the falls for a bit to have lunch and then decided to not hike the cliffs but rather call it a day instead and return hike back to the lot. 10/10/16 was a chilly and windy day with plenty of sunshine. Maybe I'm a bit out of shape,lol. People much older then me were passing me by on the trail.
I am looking forward to completing the entire trail someday. Will be back.

What a beautiful day -- definitely challenging on the Frankenstein Cliff trail if you're going at a good speed but absolutely worth the climb for the views. I would definitely reccomend taking the side Falcon Cliff trail - secluded and stunning views. Great place to go in the fall to see the foliage!

This was an amazing hike! We hiked to the falls and then up on an unmarked trail to the very top. It's dry enough we could walk in the granite basin at the top of the falls, which was pretty amazing. Then came back down and finished the loop.

Lots of bees. I was stung and several others we ran into along the way were as well, so be wary of that and prepared if you are allergic

Hiked up to Arethusa Falls and back down (did not do the loop). It was a nice workout. Good elevation gain and was well worth the effort. The falls are beautiful!

Decent hike! It's on the easy side of moderate for rating. The waterfall is tiny due to lack of rain this year, but quite lovely hike anyway in early Fall. The trail is very shady in the tree canopy so no need for sunglasses!

Great hike! The falls were a little low due to the drought, but still spectacular. I'm not sure who rates these trails as easy, moderate, or difficult, but we did the full loop with the Frankenstain Cliff trail and the descent was quite challenging. I would not recommend going up the Frankenstein cliff trail. The reason I question the rating is because the next day we did another "moderate" trail, The Rob Brook Trail, and that one was just a walk in the woods with barely any change in elevation. So the hike was great, but more challenging than anticipated, and it took us a lot longer than we thought 4.3 miles would. The waterfall and the view on the cliff trail is definitely worth the effort though!

beautiful spots, awesome view - but really not recommendable with kids or sneakers, the grund is often really challenging!