Mojave Road

Mojave Road is a 117.6 mile point-to-point trail located near Laughlin, Nevada and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for off road driving and is accessible from November until March.

117.6 miles 8605 feet Point to Point

off road driving

4 day trip, 146 miles of awesome! 1 moderate descent, muddy dry lake bed, 2 4ft water crossings, and endless fun. Had a 14 gal spare gas tank, others made it by with 10 gal.

off road driving

We spent the night at a Hotel in Laughlin and the hot shower sure felt good. I didn't take as many pictures as I should have but it took all of my concentration to make it through the 40 miles of deep sand.

On the return trip, we took a different route out of Laughlin and I drove the gas truck the whole way back. I got stuck near Geoff as a train had broken down and was blocking the road so I had to drive 10 miles to a place where I could go under the tracks and just barely cleared. As a result of the train blocking the road, I was an hour late to the gas stop and you do not get cell phone reception on the Mojave Road.

By the time the day was over and I finally got home, I think I had driven my truck over 600 miles the final day. That wore me out more than riding my bike the day before.

This is a fun ride, but it is more fun if you can have a designated gas truck driver so you don't have to trade off. Never do this ride alone because if you have a problem, it could be a very long time before someone would find you. I would say that the minimum number of riders should be at least four to be on the safe side and more is even better.

If your group is over a certain number, you have to get a permit from the Mojave National Preserve Ranger. This ride is best done in the winter because it can get well over 110 or higher in the summer.

off road driving

Great, easy trail. Some technical sections, lots of landmarks. Use GPS. Stock 4WD should be fine, but may sustain some minor damage to low hanging plastic parts. Did the trail in 2 days, taking our time and camping in the middle. Find a campsite with shelter from the wind (maybe against a ridge). Completed the trip in early April, and is was getting a little hot. Rain could hamper a trek across the dry lake bed. Sign the logbook at the mailbox, and bring a rock across the lake to the travelers monument .

off road driving

If you like the desert, then you will love the Old Mojave Road, from the salt flats to the old ruins, to the mail stop, to the ice pond, to Old Fort Mojave, the Nipton Hotel and finally to Laughlin, NV. Best to do it with a group of friends, stay at the Nipton Hotel one night and the have drinks and buckets of shrimp in Laughlin. We have done this several times as a tribute to our friend, Ken T.