Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT): Spooner Summit to Kingsbury Grade

Tahoe Rim Trail (TRT): Spooner Summit to Kingsbury Grade is a 11.9 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Glenbrook, NV that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

11.9 miles 2303 feet Point to Point

Woods, granite, world class views of Lake Tahoe The gorgeous Tahoe Rim Trail reaches 165 miles completely around the perimeter of Lake Tahoe. In fact, if you were a thru-hiker, you could complete it all in one shot. If not, then no worries: at 12 miles, this is the shortest segment of the trail. That isn't to say this is a bad part of the trail; on the contrary. Anticipation builds through the first quarter mile of the trail as you're led through trees and rocks until, finally, the lake comes into view. It's never out of view for more than a quarter mile at a time, making for plenty of time to contemplate the area. There are some great views of Genoa Peak, and at the halfway point on South Camp Peak, you can rest in the shelter of some large rocks. Be sure to bring a windbreaker to wear at lunch, since this ridge gets quite windy. The rest of the trail is mostly downhill, and the views will never be diminished.

It was hot and dry, but I knew that going in. Given the short distance I did this section as a day hike to minimize the water I had to carry. I took 5 liters and it was more than enough to get through this section. Despite everything, you get some amazing views of the entire lake. These views were worth every step.

It was a beautiful day to hike, but it was snow & ice. It made it a little difficult. Thank GOD I had my trekking poles for balance.

Great trail run with rolling hills and amazing views. Trail is well-maintained, soft dirt- rocky as you approach the summit. Once reached, the summit outcropping has amazing panoramic views of Lake Tahoe.

Good little hike from Spooner to Kingsbury. The overlook at the "George Miller memorial Bench" on south Camp Peak is one of the best you'll find on the entire Rim Trail.

Not sure if this is the right trail to put this on as the "TRT" seems to start in different spots. The trail we went on started off North Shore Blvd. Park across the street from the trail and cross the highway to start. It is straight up for the first 2 miles. Being from Southern California the air is very thin up here and our lungs were screaming. The trail evened out and about the last 2 miles straight up again. Once at the top where all the rocks are at was the most amazing view. Breathe taking views. We stood in awe for some time played with the chipmunks and decided to carry on for at least another mile. It took us 5 hours for a 10 mile hike with lots of stopping and lots of pictures. The out if breathes and tired legs was worth it. A must do hike!

Hiked this from Kingsbury North to Spooner Summit, opposite from what is described. Was dropped off at 8am by a friend at the trailhead and was picked up at Rt 50. One of the best views of any hike I have ever taken. I often suggest this portion of the trail to others who may be visiting the area. The grade is not steep but a steady climb out of Kingsbury. Did not see much activity until I started descending from Spooner toward Rt 50. Ran into some Mountain bikers in this stretch. Vistas are well worth any type of effort. You will be rewarded with beauty.

Nice 5 mile climb up to spooner summit Heading south. Took about 2 1/2 hours to get to the breathtaking view of the whole Lake Tahoe. Then descended down into fast/ technical/ awesome views through forest to kingsbury. Finished our ride taking the kingsbury grade highway down into the town (stateline) with some 9% grade downhill.

Love the hike done it several times great views not much traffic can see all of Lake Tahoe great views can snow mobile there also

We went the opposite direction, Kingbury North to Spooner. Views are outstanding. Every step is a stunner. We camped at South Camp Peak and melted snow for water. We planned to pump water at Spooner Lake, but it was scuzzy (green and fuzzy). My husband drank it, but I wouldn't. Have a pal bring you water, leave some in a parked vehicle, or carry more. We finished at Tahoe Meadows. There's much more water the last couple of miles (and people too).

Great day trip hike!! Lots of uphill trail if youre into that, once you reach the summit it has a really great view of the Lake. You may want to half the trail once you get to the summit/ lookout point. It took a few hours to get up but was the time coming back. I have done hole trail but its easer to it with no car pool.

Bomb trail!