Pine Creek Canyon Trail

Pine Creek Canyon Trail is a 5 mile out and back trail located near Las Vegas, NV that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Well kept secret, hidden canyon w/ponds and ferns along stream, majestic cliffs Climbers will know Fern Canyon from the Dark Shadows climb. Most climbers follow the upper path, which is a dirt/rock trail that works it way WNW under cliffs N of Pine Creek. If you enjoy bouldering, I highly recommend you follow the stream up the canyon instead or you could easily miss the many ponds, pools, ferns, and lush vegetation. Use the dead pine in the photo as a landmark for when to leave the dirt/rock trail and enter the streambed. Follow the stream PAST the climbers launch for Dark Shadows, and turn the corner heading W into the canyon as the cliffs narrow above (N of Mescalito). As the canyon narrows, continue bouldering (class II and III), or scramble up the many game trails (very steep and rocky) to the end of the canyon (ends in seasonal waterfall). Don't feel bad if you don't make it to the end -- this is about 6 miles RT from the parking lot and gets very rough in the end. Instead, enjoy the incredible sights and sounds, many rest/lunch spots.

good hike. lots of history there as well. homestead and meadow where there was a garden/orchard.

I really loved this trail, especially the creek! Need to skip this in the summer. Dog friendly trail.

A nice moderate hike good for horses too if you'd like a nice horse trail pretty populated. Suitable for most fitness levels.

What a great but hot, as in super hot hike today in Pine Creek Canyon. It was over 100 degrees the entire day, and I went through my 2 liters of water about half way through. Fortunately, there's water in the canyon, spring fed and cold, and enough for me to submerge myself to cool down from the heat. This, and filling up my platypus bag with another 2 liters of water was highlight #1. Highlight #2 was bumping into a big horn sheep on the way out. I shimmied up the side of the canyon (off piste) and experienced a close encounter when I rounded a boulder. We communed for about 10 minutes at 100 feet before he descended to the canyon floor in about 20 seconds. (It would have taken me 10 minutes to cover that ground).

Loved this hike. Me and a gal pal did it early in the morning. Make sure to stay close to the trail, we got caught up in talking and got a bit lost but we were able to course correct back onto the path.
Beautiful and lush green landscape and a robust creek, you don't feel like you are in LV! Will go again.

Great hike, especially later in the day to take advantage of the shade from the mountains. Nice waterfalls along the creek after a decent rain a few days prior. Only wish the trail was better marked.

It was awesome. Great for a short hike with friends.

I've always loved this hike. I have grown up in Las Vegas and have been on this hike many times.

Very short easy hike. If you are not afraid of climbing rocks or being out there, I would highly recommend going off trail. I hike for another 2 more miles in. Definitely worth it.

One of my favorite hikes in the Red Rock Canyon scenic loop. For the adventurer, you can push past the loop in the trail and make your way all the way towards the back. It does get a little rough, but you can make your way to the last waterfall, and if you come during the spring, there is a tremendous amount of water. With a towering 200 foot waterfall as a payoff at the end.

geocaching

Great day hike

geocaching

Great

Was a great hike with tons to look at, great views, lots of wildlife. vary easy to find

Straight forward dessert trail up until Fire Ecology Trail where there is more moisture and large pines growing. A high peak can be seen in the distance (I think it is called Mescalito Peak); you will be walking towards this.

I highly recommend diverting on to the Fire Ecology Trail: even tho it is somewhat disorganized and poorly marked, there are informative signs, a picnic bench and flowing water with tadpoles in the spring.

Old Wilson Homestead foundation is the next point of interest. There is a damp clearing where grass has grown and it is a nice place to cool off: look for apple trees and saplings. Mescalito Peak looms larger in the background.

Just past the Old Homestead the terrain has more moisture and more pines can be seen growing all along the creek.

The base of Mescalito peak marks the beginning of Rainbow Mountain Wilderness where the trail ends at a fork. You can follow these trails but you might have to scramble up rocks and they seem to go on forever.

Turn around at the base Mescalito peak and follow the trail back OR

...go south along the base of the peak and cross Pine Creek then walk away from Mescalito peak toward the Old Wilson Homestead where the trail meets itself (if you look at that path from above it looks like a lollipop with the Wilson Homestead where the "candy" meets the "stick")

This was a beautiful hike and lots of photo ops. Took my dog so didn't make it to the waterfalls. Bouldering was fun but eventually it got to the point Tragan (the dog) couldn't make it up. He got stuck and started to get really upset when he couldn't get to me and thought I was leaving him behind so I turned around and we headed back down. Will definitely have to go again without him. :(

Didn't make it to the ferns, but the hike was stunning. I couldn't believe a place like this existed so close to Las Vegas. Beautiful scenery, wildlife, and lots of people having fun. I gotta do this hike again to the top.