Petroglyph Canyon via Mouse's Tank Trail

Petroglyph Canyon via Mouse's Tank Trail is a 0.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Overton, Nevada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

scenic driving

Short, easy walk through canyon filled with prehistoric indian petroglyphs Petroglyph Canyon at Valley of Fire State Park is probably the most accessible way for visitors to view petroglyphs. The walk is short and very easy in the sandy bottom of this narrow canyon. Resist the temptation to touch the petroglyphs as they are easily damaged and cannot be repaired, or replaced. Absolutely no one alive today knows for certain what these ancient markings mean, but there is an informational sign at the trail entrance which explains some of the most commonly accepted interpretations. As you walk through this canyon, it is easy to imagine that you're transported back in time -- the grandeur and solitude (if you're lucky that is) of these brilliant red sandstone cliffs is almost overwhelming. In the summertime, the heat in this canyon is stifling and intense -- best viewed early in the morning or just before sunset; daily summer highs usually exceed 100 degrees, and 120 degrees is considered common. Carry water with you year-round.

Short but fun, kid and dog friendly will do again

It's short but dog friendly with just amazing ambiance. I explored early on a cold morning and had it to myself... just amazed by the the place!

Fun little hike ,I made a 4 mile hike out of it by just following the canyons ,climbing and scrambling around ..can get lost in a the amazing scenery ..amazing park all around

Three words "Mystical Bat Women"

Nice diversion and a very short & easy walk to excellent petroglyphs.

Very easy trail with great views of historic petroglyphs. I went on this walk with my 8 year old son. It was both fun and easy and ended with a view down into a small hidden valley.

Very short little walk really. I wouldn't call this a hike :) on the way in I was enjoying scenery around me. At the end I wanted more so we climbed and explored further back. Well worth it. Then coming back we finally started finding petroglyphs. First just a couple then we ended up seeing hundreds! So easy and children would really love this one!

This was a very short but lovely little walk. On the way in we were just enjoying the scenery around us so much that we never noticed any petroglyphs. By the time we Roy fed the corner and saw the water in the "tank" I was disappointed thinking there were none to see. My friend finally spotted a couple high above eye level then we started to search. We climbed the wall to the left of the tank and kept exploring further in. On the way backtracking out we started to discover the petroglyphs and it became a seek and find game. By the end of the trails we had discovered hundreds of them! It was a wonderful hike. Very easy and fun!