Petroglyph Canyon (Valley of Fire State Park)

Petroglyph Canyon (Valley of Fire State Park) is a 0.8 mile out and back trail located near Overton, Nevada that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Short, easy walk through canyon filled with prehistoric indian petroglyphs Petroglyph Canyon at Valley of Fire State Park is probably the most accessible way for visitors to view petroglyphs. The walk is short and very easy in the sandy bottom of this narrow canyon. Resist the temptation to touch the petroglyphs as they are easily damaged and cannot be repaired, or replaced. Absolutely no one alive today knows for certain what these ancient markings mean, but there is an informational sign at the trail entrance which explains some of the most commonly accepted interpretations. As you walk through this canyon, it is easy to imagine that you're transported back in time -- the grandeur and solitude (if you're lucky that is) of these brilliant red sandstone cliffs is almost overwhelming. In the summertime, the heat in this canyon is stifling and intense -- best viewed early in the morning or just before sunset; daily summer highs usually exceed 100 degrees, and 120 degrees is considered common. Carry water with you year-round.

It's short but dog friendly with just amazing ambiance. I explored early on a cold morning and had it to myself... just amazed by the the place!

Nice diversion and a very short & easy walk to excellent petroglyphs.

This was a very short but lovely little walk. On the way in we were just enjoying the scenery around us so much that we never noticed any petroglyphs. By the time we Roy fed the corner and saw the water in the "tank" I was disappointed thinking there were none to see. My friend finally spotted a couple high above eye level then we started to search. We climbed the wall to the left of the tank and kept exploring further in. On the way backtracking out we started to discover the petroglyphs and it became a seek and find game. By the end of the trails we had discovered hundreds of them! It was a wonderful hike. Very easy and fun!

Great short walk!

pretty cool I included some photos of a couple other trails in the park

Fun, short hike to some cool petroglyphs

On your way to the Mouse's Tank you'll pass through Petroglyph Canyon. Along the canyon walls are hundreds of petroglyphs chipped and chiseled into the black desert varnish. Very pleasant, easy hike! For pictures and info, check out, http://www.yourhikeguide.com/valley-fire-state-park/

I love the sandy grounds of the entire park and it was hilarious having to dump so much sand from my socks for each trail.

The great thing about this trail was that we didn't know what we were looking for and all of a sudden I saw the petroglyphs! I told my fiance to look and it took him a while to figure it out. After we found them it was like a hunting/searching game to see as many as we could. We even realized we had passed some of them on the way in. It was beautiful easy and fun.