Petroglyph Canyon (Valley of Fire State Park)

Petroglyph Canyon (Valley of Fire State Park) is a 0.8 mile out and back trail located near Overton, NV that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Short, easy walk through canyon filled with prehistoric indian petroglyphs Petroglyph Canyon at Valley of Fire State Park is probably the most accessible way for visitors to view petroglyphs. The walk is short and very easy in the sandy bottom of this narrow canyon. Resist the temptation to touch the petroglyphs as they are easily damaged and cannot be repaired, or replaced. Absolutely no one alive today knows for certain what these ancient markings mean, but there is an informational sign at the trail entrance which explains some of the most commonly accepted interpretations. As you walk through this canyon, it is easy to imagine that you're transported back in time -- the grandeur and solitude (if you're lucky that is) of these brilliant red sandstone cliffs is almost overwhelming. In the summertime, the heat in this canyon is stifling and intense -- best viewed early in the morning or just before sunset; daily summer highs usually exceed 100 degrees, and 120 degrees is considered common. Carry water with you year-round.

Nice diversion and a very short & easy walk to excellent petroglyphs.

This was a very short but lovely little walk. On the way in we were just enjoying the scenery around us so much that we never noticed any petroglyphs. By the time we Roy fed the corner and saw the water in the "tank" I was disappointed thinking there were none to see. My friend finally spotted a couple high above eye level then we started to search. We climbed the wall to the left of the tank and kept exploring further in. On the way backtracking out we started to discover the petroglyphs and it became a seek and find game. By the end of the trails we had discovered hundreds of them! It was a wonderful hike. Very easy and fun!

Great short walk!

pretty cool I included some photos of a couple other trails in the park

Fun, short hike to some cool petroglyphs

On your way to the Mouse's Tank you'll pass through Petroglyph Canyon. Along the canyon walls are hundreds of petroglyphs chipped and chiseled into the black desert varnish. Very pleasant, easy hike! For pictures and info, check out, http://www.yourhikeguide.com/valley-fire-state-park/

I love the sandy grounds of the entire park and it was hilarious having to dump so much sand from my socks for each trail.

The great thing about this trail was that we didn't know what we were looking for and all of a sudden I saw the petroglyphs! I told my fiance to look and it took him a while to figure it out. After we found them it was like a hunting/searching game to see as many as we could. We even realized we had passed some of them on the way in. It was beautiful easy and fun.

Very easy hike. Some cool petroglyphs but you really have to hunt for some of them as they are high up on the rocks and not at eye level. Because it was so sandy, my eyes were focused more on the ground as I walked rather than up. So definitely take your time to really look everywhere when you are on this trail. As I mentioned, it was very very sandy. If you have shoes with breathable mesh, I do NOT recommend them on this trail. My husband dumped out about a cup of sand from each shoe when we got done. The Mouse's Tank at the end was kind of hard to see (not much water in it in November) and there were lots of flies. Definitely do not try to go down into it. Take a quick peek and then head back.

Just completed this in March, weather was good, a lot of people on the shorter trails but hike a little and did not see anyone else. Well worth doing and is not a far drive from Las Vegas or Mesquite. At the end of this trail we climbed up over the rocks to the left of the Mouse Tank and got into another great valley with no people. Do not be afraid of heights though.

I did this in late summer and in the early morning it was fine. The canyon is beautiful and the hike easy. there was some areas where it was a minor challenge but nothing major. The area is very nice and a good break from Las Vegas if you need it.

It was getting really hot when I was there in the first part of June. The trail follows a sandy/rocky wash from the parking lot. Very busy, yet worth the hike.

Light and short hike with plenty of Petroglyphs along the way. Most Petroglyphs are visible from the trail. Some not so obvious, so be observant while on the trail. We got lucky and ran into a group of mountain sheep which didn't run off and granted hikers the opportunity to take some great photos from a closer than normal distance. There's a nice area at the end of the trail where you can relax and enjoy the view of the vibrant rocks surrounding you.

This hike is too popular on a Sunday afternoon in February. There were maybe two minutes on the hike where we were by ourselves. The rest of the time we were following groups and had groups behind us and were passing groups on the way out as we headed in and visa versa. Very neat petroglyphs though and the Mouse Tank was also interesting. Very beautiful terrain throughout the entire Valley of Fire Park.

Awesome little hike with Petroglyphs all over (duh!). I started the hike believing it was called Mouse's Tank Trail, and indeed there are signs that say that - for this hike does end at Mouse's Tank (a cavern that contains water many months out of the year and which is named after a renegade indian). The trail is short and made up of a fine, soft sand. Its mainly a place that features an abundance of wonderfully preserved petroglyphs in a beautiful, red canyon. If you're in the area you must stop and check this out. There is a picnic area at the trailhead, and the Visitor center is conveniently located just down the road.