Old Geiger Grade Toll Road

Old Geiger Grade Toll Road is a 5.7 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Reno, Nevada that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for horses and off road driving and is accessible from May until September. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

5.7 miles 36 feet Point to Point

off road driving

Easy 4x4 trail good for new people.

Once the paved part of Toll Road ends, the lower part of the old road is actually the rougher part with the part near Geiger at the top fairly smooth. Importantly, I have a non-lifted 4-door wrangler and while I needed to think about where I was driving on the road (there are some deep trenches in places from what I'm assuming was this past year's weather) i didn't bottom out once. The top part has been re-graded sometime recently. Note, this trail ends at the "Saddle" section of Geiger grade so if you want to continue to Virginia city you need to drive on the main road.

Nice ride, really bumpy, but a lot of fun and little stress. For a beginner off-road trail, I give this four stars.

well I like this trail I've taken it with all my vehicles I have owned from 94 Pontiac am to 2000 mazda protege to 2008 Pontiac Grand prix to the current car I have now witch is 2000 dodge durango.The road over the years has gotten little more rough. But a year ago before I got rid of my grand prix it had no issues with it just watch rocks and take it easy. this is one of my favorite off road roads.

great trail to drive grand Cherokee with kids. fairly easy, great views, minimal rocks to go over.would be ok with 2 wheel drive suv...

off road driving

It is a good road for some basic 4x4 fun. Great views of Reno. You will see wild horses for sure. Watch for rattlesnakes in the rocks! Plenty of places for gunpowder therapy.

scenic driving

Our Magellan GPS directed us to this Toll Road. Of course it could not know that we were not in an Off-Road-Vehicle. We drove from Reno to Virginia City. It was the most dangerous trip I have ever taken. I had to maneuver my CR-V at times around boulders; other times drive on top of jagget stones in order for the vehicle not to bottom out on this one lane road. A few times all wheels started to spin in 1st gear as well as in reverse. It took a while to get going again. At one time the wheel base was just wide enough to be able to drive on top of the 6 an 12 inches wide ridges. Sliding off the right side ridge to the right would certainly be the end of the trip, the CR-V and -------! ? The passengers had to walk several times to lighten the load of the car to keep it from scraping the underside. Other times they had to clear small boulders out of the way.
After approximately 11/2 hours of tough maneuvering and nonstop praying we were safe once again.
My recommendation: Don't even think of taking this shortcut.