North Oak Creek Trail

North Oak Creek Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Las Vegas, NV that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from October until May. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

The wildflower blooms and snowmelt filling the creeks in spring may only be surpassed by the winter beauty of ice and snow in the canyon. Fall colors are spectacular, thanks to the ash, aspens, and willows. Brilliant purples of the western redbud contrast sharply against the green pines, mahogany, and junipers when early summer/late spring takes hold.

This trail is beautiful! You can access the canyon/trail from inside the Red Rock National Conservation Area or from Hwy 159 (if you don't want to pay to get into Red Rock, or the line at the entrance is too long).

As is pretty common for a trail in the desert mountains, there isn't much shade. If you go out here in the summer, you'll definitely want to be sure to apply sunscreen. The trail is pretty rocky, so be sure to watch your step - especially if you're not a super confident trail runner/hiker.

After a couple miles, you're treated to some gorgeous views, and if you go deep enough, you might be treated to some tiny waterfalls and pools.

Check out our video on YouTube that were shot along this trail:
youtu.be/Z5hZERlqyN8

Great hike. Easy walk. Great views and some wild life.

Great trail! I've seen plenty of wildlife and awesome views along this trail. I also went in the rain and saw awesome waterfalls.

To Elaine and others who take horses on walking trails...not to say that I wouldn't enjoy horseback riding! BUT when your horseback riding on WALKING - HIKING trails, sorry to say but the horse feces on the trails are horrible along with the many, many flies the feces attract. Just saying?? Something to think about the next time you go horseback riding and to maybe be conscience of those of us on foot.

Great hike with my nephew! We never made it to the creek but awesome trails through rocks, trees, and the canyon. Next time we're going even further!! And did I mention the beautiful views.

Just finished hiking and got a good workout. Nice place to go instead of gambling.... Lol. I ventured off trail and over some rock formations that were challenging and I was rewarded with views that were beautiful. I will definitely be back when I come back to vegas.

I have always hated visiting Las Vegas, Red Rock Canyon changed all that.

This trail is a favorite with local equestrians as well since it's one of the few places you can introduce your horse to water crossings. We head southwest from the parking area at the end of the loop and follow the trail that takes you across the creek and up to the base of the mountains in the shade to take a lunch break before looping back around to the creek and back. It's about a 6 mile loop for us.

Most of the hikers we came across were extremely friendly and willing to engage in conversation with us, which helps to let the horses know that it's a person coming towards us and not a predator, we really appreciate that. We did have one couple that hid behind a tree and refused to answer me when I tried to get them talking. After we passed them one of our riders heard them talk to each other so they were English speaking, they apparently were not happy to share the trail with us though.

We accidentally hiked this trail instead of the First Creek trail that's about a mile down the road. We chose the west trail, which took us on a hike through the wash. It is a beautiful hike, but because I am still strengthening up from a broken ankle last Spring we were in search of something a little easier.

With all that said, it's a gorgeous hike; we took the trail slow and steady. I'm glad to accidentally have spent the afternoon exploring this area. It's definitely on my "we gotta go back there!" list.

Lots of flowering cacti. Went up some of the boulders on the dry river and had a nice picnic under the trees. Beautiful scenery. Our bull terrier roughed up his paw pads on the small rocks throughout the trail. Consider booties for the pups. Next time we'll go further up the boulders.

This was a nice hike once you got past all the small gravely rocks going in. Once you get back there you will find greenery and there is a stream back there also. It wasn't my favorite.

Really beautiful area for hiking, rock climbing and bouldering. The bouldering is especially beginner friendly as erosion has created a lot of handholds. I'd have given it 5 stars but it's a little crowded.

I like this hike for a chill afternoon. Not much elevation gain, close to home, and pretty scenery.

scenic driving

A great, serene place to explore, ironically only a few miles from gaudy Las Vegas (not a city I'm a fan of, sorry, but end up being in often, for various reasons.) The scenic drive (very well maintained) takes you through the canyon area that features awesome rock formations and cliffsides showing off eons old strata of greatly diverse substance and colors. The red strata is especially striking. The canyon is a virtual display of the powerful effects of geological forces over vast periods of time---and very beautiful, too! I've done several paintings of the area. Also close to picturesque Charleston Peak, the highest point in NV, elevation___(?)