Charleston Peak North Trail

Charleston Peak North Trail is a 7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, NV that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until September.

Directions from Las Vegas: Travel north on U.S. Highway 95, then take State Route 157 west., then transfer onto State Route 158. Travel north on State Route 158. After driving past the road to Hilltop Campground, park in the second turnout on the left.

Love this trail. Very challenging to me! The switchbacks at the end are a killer!

We backpacked the entire north loop to the summit. Stayed the night near Devils Thumb and then backpacked out the next morning. It was definitely grueling at times. My Fitbit calculated 15 miles day one and 10 miles for day two. It was a lot of mileage with big packs on our back but our campsite was out of this world. We watched the sunset and then gazed at the stars all night. The views up to the summit are way better than actually from the summit but it is cool to see Las Vegas and Pahrump from the top. I'm don't think I would ever backpack it again, but I might do it as a long day trip. And also I wouldn't do the full north rim. If you do trail canyon, you can shave off 3 miles each way, which could have made the difference for me between 4 starts and 5. Overall it was a great experience and a hell of an accomplishment.

Awesome trail and one of my favorites! I did this hike in mid-August and started at 2:45 am because I knew it was going to get hot. Amazing views throughout. I completed it as a day trip (8 hr RT) but wish I would've camped a night. There are stellar sites about half to three quarters of the way up. Very easy to navigate. Take plenty of water and nutrition.

This is a great trail. The closer to the peak, the more treacherous it gets with some very serious (certainly fatal) drops. The first tow miles you come to "the view" point looking over the Charleston valley. From there it's down to the trail canyon intersection (all down). About .6 miles further your at cave springs (slight grades to this point). From there you hit a couple long switch backs which brings you up to the cliffs over looking Charleston village. A mile and a half later your hitting the first saddle and taking a slight up and down grades to the 3 camping areas. After the last camp area is where things get a bit hazardous and definitely more strenuous. Things from here get interesting with about 7-10 spots where just below the trail there are drops about 500-1000 feet. Not sure exactly but they didn't look survivable. They did look amazing and definitely picture worthy (if your battery didn't die like mine). You think your close but for the next mile or so your thinking the giant switchback must be just around this outcrop. But it's not, there are a few of those and then finally, your in the big switchback. Air is thin and it gets pretty chilly (even in June). A few turns and your are at your destination! When at the top. Please be mindful of the stone wind break area. We sat down and made lunch and found little red ticks all over (don't need hitch hikers). Good luck and sign the book in the ammo can!

This trail is beautiful, but there are difficult parts due to the pitch of the trail and slippery rocky ground cover. I did not make it to the top the day I headed out as I left too late in the day and realized I would not make it down before dark and there are some very dangerous parts of trail......if you slip you have a long way down!!! Gorgeous hike though! I always start utilizing the Trail Canyon route. I only completed 13.5 mile loop this day.