Mustang Trail

Mustang Trail is a 7.4 mile loop trail located near Las Vegas, Nevada. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for mountain biking.

We did this half-day 7 mile trail with Escape Adventures. Our tour guide, Brandon, was super knowledgeable and fun! My boyfriend and I did this last week. We’re from Oregon, in our young 30s, and are relatively outdoorsy, healthy, and athletic. I went into this as a newbie mountain biker (although with cycling class experience) and the bf went into this with mountain biking experience, but only as a kid (20+ years ago). He did okay, but I did not.

Spinning/cycling class skills do not transfer over to mountain biking well. I had difficulty learning how to balance my weight, position my body, and apply the brakes. The terrain had loose gravel, large rocks, and prickly plants along the narrow trail. On one of the first dips, my brain froze and I applied the L brake (front wheel) because I’m L-handed, rather than the R (rear). I went head first into the prickly plants & rocks. My left thigh was pinned under the handlebars until I unfroze. This is not a trail to practice and experiment on for the 1st time. During the switchbacks, I was intimidated and got off my bike and walked which was allowed and even encouraged. The tour guide and our fellow rider rode ahead and then the 4 of us would reconvene for briefing before the next portion. This was great because they were able to do their thing while the bf and I took it slow. Overall, the bf had minimal problems with the trail, unlike me. Although both of us were panting heavily during the climbs due to the change in elevation, dry air, and hot sun.

The trail and landscape was beautiful. We got some great photos and captured many of my falls on my GoPro which has been comical to watch. I’m still bruised and limping one week later, but battle wounds are the best.