Mount Rose Trail

Mount Rose Trail is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Incline Village, NV that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

rock climbing

skiing

Conquer the summit of Mt Rose and enjoy the waterfalls, alpine lakes and great Lake Tahoe views. Mt. Rose may be the second tallest peak in Tahoe basin and prominent feature of the northern Lake Tahoe skyline, but despite its 2,300ft elevation gain the journey to the peak is best described as pleasant rather than challenging.

Great hike! First half I would say is pretty easy. Second half very strenuous.

Did this last weekend. As an out-of-towner, I thought this was a beautiful hike. Took a little detour to find this outcropping where you're essentially surrounded by the mountains.

However, I'm pretty sure I lost the trail about 80% of the way up due to the snow (and my lack of preparation) so I turned back. Of course, have snow shoes and dress appropriately this time of year.

Beautiful views the whole way. VERY windy the last mile from the top when I went in October. Loved it!

My father and I did Mount Rose as the second trail of our three-trail weekend (Squaw Peak the day before, Mount Tallac the day after.) As far as trail conditions, immediate views and streams go, this was the crown jewel of the trip.

We arrived at the trailhead at ~6:30 AM. We were one of the first cars in the lot, and there were no other hikers in sight. The trail starts out as a mellow, relaxing trek over dirt laced with the occasional snow. For the first two miles, there's little elevation gain, which serves as a great warm-up if you're doing the trail early in the morning.

The trail becomes increasingly difficult after the passage of a waterfall and low-flowing streams. You gain a hefty 2,000 feet in a little over two miles, though the indescribable views go a long way to helping you forget about the strenuous stretch of trail. Additionally, be prepared to hike icy and/or snowy paths, especially during October and November.

The last push to the summit- after the switchbacks- require sturdy shoes and attentive walking. Not only is the trail icy, it requires stepping over large rocks (some loose) while gaining a mentally taxing 400 feet with the summit in sight. I would recommend hiking poles for the final push to the summit, for they significantly help with both ascending and descending.

My father and I summited at a 8:45 AM, well before any other soul. The views from the summit rival Mount Tallac; Lake Tahoe is visible to the West, Reno and Carson City to the South/East, and Truckee/Donner Pass to the North. The weather at the summit was fortunately serene, with little wind and clear skies. We remained at the summit for a full thirty minutes before descending. We had the summit to ourselves the entire time.

Traffic on the trail started picking up heavily as we descended back to the waterfall. Dogs, families and casual hikers were aplenty post-waterfall, requiring us to step aside each minute. I heavily recommend starting at sunrise, not only to avoid the boisterous crowds, but also to enjoy a tranquil, snowy wonderland as the sun illuminates Mount Rose.

The final statistics calculated our route at 10.9 miles, gaining a little over 2,300 feet of elevation. Since we started early in the morning (hence no significant heat,) we only consumed two liters of water (and a small gatorade) between the two of us. If you're leaving later, I'd recommend bringing 2.5-3 liters of water along with salty snacks. There are places- almost all near the waterfall- to replenish your water bottles. Be sure to purify the water.

A lot of folks enjoy streams on their trails, myself included. This is a perfect trail, for you cross many areas with flowing water and can easily climb to the top of a small waterfall. With amazing views, relaxing streams, and a placid trail, this is one of the best hikes you can do around Tahoe. I highly recommend it.

The waterfall is a great spot to take a break and have lunch.

Definitely worth the views! My advice being the first timer on this trail is bring water and snacks, as well as warm clothes this time of year. The wind gusts at the peak and on the way up were literally near freezing. Prepare for snow, as on our way back it did. Sturdy shoes, pacing yourself, and giving yourself time is completely worth it!

Great hike! Went a very long time ago but remember the elevation gain not being too challenging. Amazing views!

Awesome hike! Very windy and cold at the top but worth it!

A very nicely maintained trail. Waterfall was a great surprise. Found it a very easy trail to navigate and although it was well over 10,000 feet, it didn't feel it. Views at the top were amazing. Here's our full write up.

A very nice trail with great views

the views are amazing!

Great easy walk to the falls. Then gets steep after that. Goes without saying, water, hat, is a must. Bring your camera. Plenty of spots for some fantastic photographs.

Beautiful summer hike. A good workout and well worth the view when you get to the top.

Great. I'd definitely do it again.

I have now done this trail twice. This time, we started our hike right when the sun was starting to rise and so the first hour was just incredibly beautiful as we walked along the sunrise. The trail got harder with more incline, but we made it to the summit without needing to take any breaks. It took us 2 hours and 15 minutes to summit. The top is very cold and windy, but we celebrated with a picnic breakfast involving mimosas and scones. It was such a beautiful view and a wonderful way to spend a morning.

its about 2.6+/- miles