Mount Jefferson Trail

Mount Jefferson Trail is a 16.8 mile loop trail located near Tonopah, NV that offers scenic views and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until November.

Want some real solitude along with amazing views, wild flowers, meadows, creeks, aspen groves, big horn sheep, and nearby hot springs. This is your trail. This time of year (early June) there is tons of water so no worries there. The hardest part about the trail is the 15+ creek crossings with no permanent bridges. Be ready to wade or get creative. Head towards the north summit and keep your eyes open for little tan specks on the sides of the distant hills. You'll probably get to see some big flocks of big horn. We saw one flock of 40+.

The dirt roads to get out here off of 50 are in great shape.

This is about as desolate as it gets. I don't know that I would rate this trail as difficult as indicated by All Trails. We did not get to the summit though, so I guess there is that. We were in the middle of late winter/early spring conditions. I was just about blown off the top a couple of times. Due to over exposed rock, ice and snow we called it about a quarter mile or less from the summit.

I'll be going back in a couple of weeks in June and will have a new report for you.

No permits needed.
No pottable water.
No campgrounds.
Few humans present.
Nearest gas station is about 60 miles away.
Nice backcountry feel, pack accordingly.
Wicked cool place to find some solitude and fantastic views!