Marlette Lake Trail from Spooner Lake

Marlette Lake Trail from Spooner Lake is a 10.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Glenbrook, NV that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great hike with a consistent but not brutal uphill grade on the way in, a gorgeous setting at Marlette Lake, and a quiet experience that was the perfect get-away we were looking for. We did this one in mid-November... awesome weather with it being chilly but not cold. We started at 8:30am and only encountered maybe 20 other people (including some bikers and two horseback riders). Round trip took us 4.5 hours, including a 20-30 min stop at the lake.

Beautiful, 63° October day with beautiful vistas and Aspen color popping. Scant snow, great sunlight and only saw 2 people in 11 miles

Parked at Spooner Summit to save us each $8. adds a couple miles to the hike. Beautiful hike gorgeous fall colors.

Beautiful trail, lots of fall colors! Don't confuse the mtb trail with the hiking trail!

We parked at spooner parking costs $8 for nv residents and $10 for others. We hiked down to spooner it was beautiful. We took the pedestrian trail to Marlette lake it was a bit boring. Marlette was beautiful! We took the flume trail back down it was gorgeous! We walked thru aspen groves changing colors. So pretty. Just have to get out of bikers way every once in a while. I'd take the flume next time. Great October hike to see leaves changing.

Beautiful area!

From spooner up to Marlette is a grind if your trail running I walked a few up the hill climbs with pride :) Marlette is beautiful and full of energy with MTB traffic from flume riders. Run back to Spooner felt like it took 1/2 the time.

This would be a 3-4 star trail with few views but I took a few tips from the great Top Trails guide to Lake Tahoe and turned it into a great 5 star outing. I am just sorry I did not record the track, to make it easier for others to follow.

I will do my best to describe it, and perhaps I will record the track on my computer later and upload it.

I started from the Lake Spooner trailhead and hiked the trail to Marlette Lake. It goes on a forest road for maybe half a mile and then it splits: bikers need to stay on the forest road, but hikers can take a shaded path (North Canyon Trail) through the forest. I definitely recommend taking it: not only is it prettier, but you will avoid a lot of the MTB traffic. The trail is part of Flume Trail which is very popular with mountain bikers (of all skill levels).

I stayed on the path until I came to Marlette Lake and then took right and walked to a junction with a restroom. Here you have two options. If you continue straight, you will come to "Marlette Overlook". I believe that one can see both Marlette Lake and Lake Tahoe from here--I saw some pictures and they look impressive but I did not take this path.

Instead I turned right, hiked up on the forest road used by bikers, perhaps 1/4 mile past the map and junction on top and then turned left on Snow Valley Rd. This road climbs quickly for about a mile and then crosses Tahoe Rim Trail. I turned right on the Tahoe Rim Trail and hiked it all the way to the Spooner Pass. Great views along the way.

The final part is taking the trail which runs around Lake Spooner and get from Spooner Pass to the parking lot by Lake Spooner.

All-in-all it is about 14 miles.

Great. The trail itself is a dirt road but the scenery is beautiful the whole way. There were more mountain bikers than hikers but it wasn't an issue as the road is wide and can accommodate both. You are at a constant and decent incline the entire hike up to the lake.