Lake Mead: Anniversary Narrows

Lake Mead: Anniversary Narrows is a 9.9 mile loop trail located near Overton, NV. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

This really is a must see if you like scenic slot canyons, but not in hot weather, cooler in the slot, but the way there would be miserable in Vegas summer. March was perfect.

Went in mid April. Access to the ore mine area that leads to the Narrows is gated however they're open until about 4:30 pm. Workers will let you pass. There's another way to access it but it's a long way around. Look it up online before going just in case.

Access is still closed

Access is closed to the public. Signs are posted saying "keep out if you want to stay alive" and to contact the bureau of land management to reach the narrows

With the exception of the "busy" trailhead (mining operation, the bucolic sounds of very heavy machinery :-) ) I found this hike quite magnificent. I did drive my rental Altima (carefullY) to the parking area just before the dirt road goes down to the wash and the mouth of the Narrows. The guys driving the huge trucks and the jeeps were really friendly and considerate, slowing down and apologizing for the tail of dust they left for my enjoyment.
Once in the narrows it was pure pleasure all the way though and to the summit / Anniversary Narrows peak. As the elevation profiles shows for all tracks, the second part of the hike (once you leave the wash) just keeps getting steeper all the way to the saddle and beyond. The very final leg to the summit requires a minimum of technical skills, sure footing and comfort with heights and drop[-offs. What a treat to reach the top and look all around though! Views of the Bowl of Fire on one side and the Muddy Mountains wilderness on the other are worth every burning calf up and aching knee back down.
I am providing a link to a site I found very useful as a visitor to the area (birdandhike.com). It is how I eventually selected this hike.

We tried to do this hike last year, but the mining operation shut us out. We did enjoy some other trails but were anxious to leave after an eerie find. A Bible laying in off road way out there in the desert left me with a strange feeling there was something amiss. I don't know if I expected to run across a burning bush or a dead body but we made a rapid exit. The flies never bothered us until we stopped, then they really went to biting!

We can't check-in when we got there. "no service" and by the time my phone got service, it says "too far to check-in"! But it is really beautiful in there

Great hike. No one around -- quiet and peaceful.

The road was in good shape as of dec1 2013 our VW had no problem. The hike is easy with a hand full of side treks to explore.

This is a relatively easy trail that has amazing views once you're into the narrows. We walked from the main road and everything was open allowing access to the narrows. If you have time you can follow some of the mining ruins that will take you to some awesome views.

I've tried to get down there a couple of times in the last year. The first time, I was completely fenced off by a mining operation. (Their trailer is just a mile off of the calville wash --easy to see.) I went a second time at the urging of another friend that said I should be able to get around their fence. True, you can get around the first fence, which is mostly all knocked down, but there are a ton of warning signs and larger fences that pretty much box you into a well-dug-out wash. Going beyond these signs doesn't look very safe.

If anyone has an alternate route to the narrows, shoot me a message, as I'd love to see them.

you can save yourself a few miles of walking on a dirt road if you have a high clearance vehicle, my honda accord couldnt make it to the final parking area. very cool hike through an old mining operation into a steep walled and shady canyon. after exiting the canyon i walked for a while then just turned around and went back. amazing photo ops on this one. posting a pic or 2.