Hunter Lake Trail

Hunter Lake Trail is a 13.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Reno, NV that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and off road driving and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Great place a lot of room good open meadow at the top. Great after noon trip

Mostly ohv trails. Wide dirt road trail.

I believe some of the prior reviews for this are mistakenly referring to the much shorter and easier Hunter Creek trail.....in the same general mountains, but accessed from entirely different spots. This trail, as stated, is 15 miles and pretty tiring and strenuous. It is NOT that heavily used at all, as is the Hunter Creek trail, nor is it narrow in places like that hike. There is very little shade on this hike, and as another hiker stated, it is a very good workout. You access the trailhead near Caughlin Ranch Elementary School, starting on a fire access road. It is not well marked, so be sure to study a map very well before heading out. There are many different little roads and trails leading various directions, so if you don't know where you are actually going, will just end up meandering around. I suggest starting early, as the summer sun was brutal on my way back, having began just after 9 am. Will aim for closer to 6 am next time! It was a great challenge though, that I will be repeating soon.

Hard but a great work out. You will feel it in your legs for sure! Beautiful waterfall at the end. I have been several times and it is pretty busy and the trail gets narrow at numerous spots so take that into consideration. I would recommend this hike, but not during weekends or peak hours.

Very busy trail. This is a popular trail for families and their pets. Although the scenery is great and the trail is well maintained, i was restricted by the number of people. In many areas the trail is large enough for a single person, so getting having to stop for large groups to pass, or getting stuck behind slow hikers can be frustrating. Once you get to the top however, there is a beautiful waterfall and spot to rest before your decent back to the trailhead.

Great trail.

off road driving

I use this area for four wheeling. Over all it is an easy road, really only getting barely troublesome towards the end. I can complete this trail using a 4" lift on my jeep with 33" tires. Conditions change with the seasons and snow / ice is about the only thing that will turn you around. Spring brings runoff and lots of mud. A very beautiful area where I have seen many deer, and a few coyotes. Awesome views and great "backyard" camping. I get a cell signal most of the way.

Great Hike! I will tell you about my very first hike in the Reno area, Hunter Lake Trail! Mind you, I am a Louisiana Native and only recently moved to this altitude. This was a group hike in the evening...5:30 pm meet up. But I was running a good 40 minutes late. So my dog, Kai, and I took off up the obvious trail...luckily a main trail with few turnoffs.
It is a four wheeling trail. There are many sections of loose rock and some steep terrain. Next time I think I need some kind of spikes on my boots! And more water! I ran out about half way down. Anyhow, back to the hike.
I ran into some of the group as they were heading down. They had done a shorter hike. They checked to see if I had water and a flashlight. Oh yeah, did I mention this was an evening hike! So I huffed and I puffed and I climbed that hill...thought I was gonna die. I reached what I thought at the time was the top. Just as the colorful lights of Reno were coming on(you can see the whole city), and in the opposite direction the sun was setting over the mountain ridge...beautiful. As dusk hit I hit the trail down, jogging during the not so steep parts, wanting to get as far down as I could while I still had some light. Ok, so I got a little lost on the way down...off the main trail...my dog chased off some critter, who knows what? Luckily, the trail leader saw that my car was still there and called me. I was only two neighborhood blocks off course.
Note to all that venture: Get a very strong flashlight or head lamp, and plenty of water!