Hunter Creek Trail

Hunter Creek Trail is a 5.7 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Reno, Nevada that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Reno: 80 East to McCarran North Exit, go south on McCarran Blvd and make a right on Mayberrry Rd., Turn left on Plateau Rd., Turn right on Woodchuck Dr. and follow it until it dead ends at the trailhead.

surfing

Rode some sick waves at the waterfall.

Very little shade until you get close to the falls. Can get crowded on weekends- would do on weekday or very early on a weekend. It's not easy- moderate at least.

Make it out here early in the morning. If you don't, you'll run into a ton of unleashed dogs and wild people (weekend). I'm sure it's a lot easier to deal with on a weekday. I did this one a couple weeks ago; very fun, and got in there early. A great hike to keep you and the pup with at least an elevated heartbeat. Leave before dawn, and you'll be fine...

I hiked this trail in the Thanksgiving afternoon, so the traffic was light. Upper part of the trail was frozen and slippery especially near the water, you definitely need to have a pair of good hiking boots and hiking pole. The trail was beautiful with all the snow so was the frozen waterfall.

I did this hike today with my border collie and we had a blast! It started snowing toward the middle of the hike and continued to snow fairly heavily throughout which made it a really magical hike! Unfortunately, the slippery snow made it so i couldn't cross the creek closest to the river but i still got to see the waterfall from the right side. I strongly recommend a good jacket for this hike. I run warm so I was mostly fine with my sweater... but I did see a few people turn around because they were too cold. I only noticed dog poop on the first half mile of the hike. I would rate this an easy to moderate hike. I also recommend shoes with good ankle support because there are some rocky/large gravely areas where I could easily see someone rolling their ankle. This is a hike I would do again!

An early morning must...heavily trafficked and narrow when there are 100 unleashed dogs. A good hike to keep the heart rate up for a couple hours.

Good hike overall. You feel the elevation climb the next day.
I am a bit worried about my dog obtaining some bacteria/virus after drinking from the creek along the way. We went on Saturday Nov 5th and now she has been having lots of diarrhea, anyone else with the same problem?

The views were amazing, The terrain very easy to moderate... One of the dirtiest trails Ive ever been on though. .. People need to learn how to pack out what they bring in... Lots of tp and bags of dog poop left right on the trail... I was most unimpressed

I had the very good fortune of completing this trail again today, the first day of November!! I was unsure of what the conditions would be like, or if I would be able to make it to the Falls, with the recent wet weather and visible snow on the mountains just above the falls. There were a few stretches of mud, but the last of it is about 1/3 of the way up the mountain, and from that point onward the trail is still in great condition right now! Despite there being a little snow on the ground at the very highest point of the hike, I was stripped down to just a tank top due to the brilliant sunshine and strenuous pace/uphill requirements of the hike! In November! The logs over the creek that allow you to cross it and reach the falls are still accessible, but watch your step- some of them do move a bit! Overall, a hike I will enjoy again and again, and plan on sneaking in as many more as possible before being forced to call it quits over winter. Nothing quite like living on borrowed time! Lol. :-)

Did on the weekend of October 24. Beautiful day easy hike in and out didn't realize the incline until the way back. Measured about 6 miles ~took about three hours.

Beautiful in the fall. A good portion is in direct sun so it got pretty hot. Great trail!

Love this trail. It's beautiful in the fall, the trees were amazing. My dog loved the cooler weather. Mostly uphill on the way to the falls, a little more relaxed the way back. I've done this hike half a dozen times and it's great each time!

The trail is definitely not friendly in the summer as you spend most of it in the sun. My 11 year old daughter and I run together often and thought this would be a great place to run, but I slipped on loose gravel three times and eventually sprained my ankle. However, we did take a lunch that we enjoyed at the waterfall before running back and it was a great experience.