Gass Peak

Gass Peak is a 16.4 mile out and back trail located near Las Vegas, NV and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for mountain biking and off road driving and is accessible from March until May.

off road driving

Another Peak to visit with great 360 degree views. Continue directions to the summit. From the cabin in Hidden Forest Cabin hike as you are standing looking at the cabin go to your left and follow the trail to Wiregrass Spring UTM coordinates Easting 660246 Northing 4055432. When you get to the spring cross over the creek area and hike up to the ridge.(West direction). When you get to the ridge follow that in a North direction as it is easier to walk on top of the ridge. Their are scattered cairns, & orange pieces of tapes tied to tree branches to help get you their. Hayford Summit coordinates are Easting 660891 Northing 4058220. It is a strenuous hike but worth the trip if you like hiking to Summits. Excellant views and much cooler then Vegas temps. I think these are great for overnight trips, as their is much more time for photo's and to enjoy the views and wildlife.

I spent one night at hidden forest cabin which is en route to Hayford peak with my wife on fathers day. It was 112 on the desert floor and a pleasant 75 at the cabin. When I was there the spring was a steady drip. I wasn't anticipating the spring to be useful so we packed in all our water. At night the wildlife comes to the spring to drink water so make sure you set up camp a good distance from it. Please note that the topo is not correct and Hayford peak is more north. This is not a difficult hike but you will need a reliable high clearance vehicle to get to the trailhead. This hike is pretty far off the grid and you should plan on self reliance.

Yes, this is Gass Peak.

This is not Hayford peak. I believe this Gass peak.