Rock Bluff Run Trail

Rock Bluff Run Trail is a 6.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Falls City, NE that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Indian Cave State Park is located 10 miles south of the junction of U.S. Highway 136 and Nebraska Highway 67 west of Brownville, then five miles east on Nebraska Spur 64E.

Ok, here's how my hike went today. I'll start off by saying I always feel that it is a blessing to have the opportunity and the ability to be able to enjoy nature at any given day and location. I'm giving this trail a 3 because I have been on some actual 5 star trails in various parts of America. As for the area, I couldn't have expected anything better! I really enjoyed the steep inclines to the top ridge line of the hilltops. I personally love to get my heart pumping and feeling the burn in my legs, though. Along the trail at the top of the hills are some trail shelters with pretty nice views that can be enjoyed however long you feel the need. I will mention that there are a few drawbacks to the trails here. They are not very well maintained so be prepared to navigate past filled trees, washouts, and tons of overgrown plants. It wasn't a huge bother to me, honestly, but I could see where others may complain. My main warning to anybody hiking out here is to be extra cautious protecting yourself from bugs. I am an avid hiker and I figured I went a little overkill on the bug spray, but that most definitely was not the case. Within the first 5 minutes of my hike I developed my own miniature ecosystem of bugs. No exaggeration when I say I had a thin fog of mosquitoes and other insects hovering around me the entire time. But once again, I enjoyed my outing! Hopefully this review will give you a good idea of what to be prepared for if you decide to hike these Indian Cave State Park trails!

I've been hiking/backpacking this area for more than twenty years. Outstanding views of the Missouri River and the bluffs on its western edge. Great fall foliage in mid-late October. There are a variety of trails available at Indian Cave State Park and the trail along the river bluffs is only one of many; plenty of choices winding through this hilly, forested area of SE Nebraska. It's unfortunate that the State opened up some of these trails to horses; the Loess soil doesn't hold up well to the weight of horses and has left deep gouges in some areas.

This trail follows the ridge line on the western bluff along the Missouri river. Every step is a view. Stayed overnight at on of the androndack shelters and watched an amazing sunset. Parts of it is demanding, so be prepared for a workout. Well worth it.