Indian Cave Trail

Indian Cave Trail is a 3.7 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Falls City, NE that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

Indian Cave SP adjoins the Missouri river with high bluffs and rolling hills covered with timber and small meadows. The trails range from 1/2 mile to seven miles. A number of trails are interlaced so a hiker can continue for many miles without having to go from trail head to trail head. Twenty miles of hiking trails from a half-mile to seven miles long meander through the hardwood forest. Most trails are moderate to strenuous. Primitive tent camping is permitted along hiking trails throughout the park. There are nine Adirondack shelters with fire rings. Twenty miles of hiking trails from a half-mile to seven miles long meander through the hardwood forest. Most trails are strenuous. Primitive tent camping is permitted along hiking trails throughout the park. There are nine Adirondack shelters with fire rings. Group campsites are available, including a horseback rider campground. A 131/2-mile trail is designated for horseback riding. Supervised horseback rides are held Friday through Sunday during the summer and on autumn weekends.

We camped on one of the loops and hiked during the day with our dogs. What you'll find here is a nice little park with a good variety of backpacking, RV or tent spots.

What you won't find here is anything as it is depicted on the park map. It is more "Picasso" and less "accurate." We drove a lap around the park to actually find the correct trailheads.

Trail 2 (history trail) is a good little loop with an outlook and a stop by the 100% racist "Halfbreed Cemetery." If you've got kids they'll probably dog the old timey candle maker and soap maker people. As we are complete assholes, that didn't interest us at all. The outlook is beautiful.

Trail 11 (nature trail?) is a legit death trap. It's a short, steep loop with a lot of fallen logs up to a decent view. It was a bit muddy, full of loose roots and we had our pups, so this is the only trail ever where the hike up is more fun than the hike down. Have fun spraining your ankle or, if you're graceful like moi, doing a fall/slide combo into a tree while your 15 lbs dog watches you like you're a fool. Glad I finished it, though.

I'd like to go back and do the high trails (7 and 3, I think?) and stay in a spot with a view.

It is so gorgeous nature mother for green!!! And interesting historic of Indian cave and oldest cemetery

Great!! High trails were best! The lower ones were very muddy and mosquitos were unbearable while wearing deet!! I look forward to throwing on the backpack this summer and spending the night!!

I took the number 11 trail way down by the cave. The trail was a little more than a muddy deer trail. It was steep and it was raining when I hiked so it was extremely slick. The "scenic view" at the top was bushed in and nothing special. Not worth your time. Try a different trail!

I did a solo overnighter here over spring break, and had a wonderful time. I started at Trailhead 4, hiked a few miles to one of the Adirondack shelters, spent the night, and then the next morning, hiked the Lincoln Bend Wetland Trail and North Ridge Trail. It might have been even more enjoyable just a little bit later in the season, when more of the park is coming back to life, but that's a small thing really. The only other thing to say is that there are some trails that aren't marked on the map, and that can throw you off, but the park's small enough its no big deal. Overall, fantastic place, and I look forward to hiking it again.

I hiked trail 5, 9, and 11 down to the cave. It was pretty soggy today and this is a long challenging hike. Full round it is about 8 miles. Beautiful day for hiking though!

I hiked this park last weekend on Trail #3 to the river and to some shelters on the ridge. Fantastic views and this place way exceeded my expectations. A really cool place. Some pics attached.

Nice state park with plenty of camp sites. Was impressed with primative camp sites. Nice hiking trails. Some could be marked better. Great for family camping and hiking. I will go back again.

First time here. Enjoyed the hike but others are correct in that trails are poorly marked in most places and don't always match the map. It has been rainy but most of the trails are passable, over grown and have some downed trees. Many marked for no horse traffic still have had horses on them.

We went on a horseback riding vacation at Indian Cave State Park, it was our first visit to the park. The equestrian area was well groomed but not many level areas to park or to set up a camper or trailer. The only water source is a water wagon for the horses but the park personnel make sure it is full and the water is clean and fresh. There is a nice covered shelter area with picnic tables by the corrals and picnic tables, fire pits and tie posts around the area. The 12 pen corrals look nice but we were disappointed to see how muddy they were and even if the ground was dry how rough it was in the corrals. There is no drainage for these corrals and they were ankle deep in mud, we had to set up our own electric fence corrals on the grass for the four days we were there. A suggestion would be to thoroughly clean out those corrals and fill with sand.
The trails are wide, nice and for the most part well maintained. They were beautiful tree covered, fun trails, some easy trails quickly turned steep and challenging, they are also very slippery when wet! Want to be sure your horse is in shape for these trails! Be sure and get a park map marked for horse trails, not all trails are open for horses and can be misleading and you can’t ride to the historical sites. Trail heads are marked well but interior trails are not ,very confusing. The entrance into the equestrian area is narrow, it was a tight fit for our larger rigs. A note, the weekend we were there a black powder shoot was going on right next to the horse camp, very loud! All in all we enjoyed the beautiful scenery, the trails and had a great time riding the park!

We've been to this park twice and enjoy the trails. The park is far enough away from main roads that hiking here is very peaceful with no traffic noise. The trails are decent, although they do need to trim in some places and remove fallen trees others. We enjoy a little adventure and don't mind climbing over or ducking under trees, so if this doesn't bother you, you should enjoy the trails here. One thing to note is that the trails are very poorly marked and the park map doesn't quite match the trails.

Went out to Indian Cave Park July 16th this year 2014. It was my first time there. I was a little disappointed because I was expecting more than one cave. I did enjoy the trials and driving through the park. There was some repair and/or renovation happening on the road to the cave. I did climb trail head #11; which goes up behind the cave, because I wanted to get to the over look at the top. That trail was wash mostly away and all the plants had grown up over the trail. It was tough for me (a newbie to hiking) and I was not very prepared but I made it and found my way back down. I would go again. I've heard it very prettying in the fall.

I have been to the park twice now, once in the spring and another in the fall. There were plenty of trails to choose from and if planned correctly you can spend all day with minimal exposure to pavement. There are both camp sites and shelters setup along certain segments of the trails which make this one of the most pleasurable backpacking sites in Nebraska.

My only advise is to plan your walking around the water well as plumbing is located only in one area of the park.

Found this park online few years back been there at least 3 times sence...horse back was fun for us all and engender the hiking

Great park. I used this park to introduce my kids to hiking as it is well sectioned out to do as little or as much hiking as you want. In addition, there are other activities for the family to do as well throughout the park. Some awesome views from bluffs and overlook area. My kids and I entered at section 9 and continued to 10 and 11 to the cave and used the road to loop back to our campsite. Section 11, the descending trail to the cave was a little washed out but overall a great experience.

Beautiful park. Visited in late October when the trees are in full autumn color. Great views, no bugs!

Trails cater to equestrians on weekends (individuals as well as park-led groups), so either leave the dog at home or take advantage of the other activities the park has to offer (lots of opportunities to soak up important history). In my experience, horse trails are indicated by "no pets or bicycles" signs. More hiker (and dog) friendly trails lack that signage.

Privies available at every trail head and historic site, but very little water available- make sure to bring in what you need. Some of the trail markings are missing or ambiguous, and the map you get at the visitor's center is not detailed. Be prepared!

Great park! Beautiful trails, tons of wildlife, lots to do (along with hiking), and very very scenic! Love this place!...we will be back!

Nebraska's State Park system should shine as an example to many other state park systems, as their access, presentation and upkeep are stellar. Indian Caves in my opinion is their showpiece. The trail systems here are varied, well marked and full of scenery & wildlife. The story behind the Nemaha region is rich & steeped in history from the thousands of years its acted as a causeway besides the mighty Missouri River. From nomadic tribes to its allocation a Half-Breed Reservation with deep suffering and loss. Trail #2 takes you to the Half-Breed cemetery where I heard from a Park representative, 100 mixed, half-breed children were dumped at the onset of winter and told to fend for themselves. As Spring arrived, only 8 remained alive. The bodies of those (92?) young were buried on the ridge here. I am sure there must be far more details to this story yet unknown.