Rattlesnake - Sawmill Gulch Loop Trail

Rattlesnake - Sawmill Gulch Loop Trail is a 8.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Missoula, Montana and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and mountain biking and is accessible from April until November.

This was my second ride in the Rattlesnake Trail System, and I had actually climbed the Wallman Trail while doing it in combination with the Stuart Peak Trail. While busting my lungs going up, I knew I had to come back, and do this little beauty going downhill.. One thing is certain, The Wallman Trail is a hell of a lot more fun coming down than it is going up!! Conclusion Absolutely fantastic loop, Wallman Trail downhill offers the ultimate buzz, sweet singletrack at its best. A couple of fairly easy but tight switchbacks and enough visibility to switch off your common sense and put your steed to the deed. The fun doesnt just stop when the trail bottoms out, youve still got a sweet mile of level but fast zigzagging through the Rattlesnake pine forest. I did this trail on a week day, I spent 2 hours on the trail, and did not see anyone untill I reached the last 0.5 miles from the trailhead Other Info: Traffic on Trail : Trailhead was busy but I did not see anyone on the trails Wild Life : none this time Scenery : scenery is low, but the fun level compensates for that Other : Free map at trailhead, Trails are VERY busy during weekends Recommendation : If you are willing to put in an extra hour, I suggest you continue all the way UP to the end of Stuart Peak Trail, then turn around and enjoy about 10 miles of downhill mayhem just dont miss the Wallman trail while bombing down

Great little loop run or Mtn bike in the Rattlesnake. For the less fit it is a moderate to hard hike. You can get water from spring creek but I'd filter. Dry and hot on the east side in the summer. My favorite time of the year on the west side is November when it 'snows' larch needles.

Amazing

Great, somewhat challenging loop to hike up the Rattlesnake. Some decent elevation and plenty of switchbacks. Most the people I encountered on the trail were on mtn bikes.

My Experience

Conclusion

Other Info:
Traffic on Trail : Trailhead was busy but I did not see anyone on the trails

Wild Life : none this time

Scenery : scenery is low, but the fun level compensates for that

Other : Free map at trailhead, Trails are VERY busy during weekends