Sylvan Lake Trail

Sylvan Lake Trail is a 11.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roscoe, MT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October.

I would say the hike was more like 6 miles one way, according to our GPS and my hiking app. It was definitely a hard hike, especially if you are inexperienced. It is uphill the entire way with no flat spots or down hill until you get to the meadow, which is about 4 miles into it. Once you get to the lake, its amazing. We stayed 2 nights, the wind came up each night, but we lucked out with no rain. We caught some goldens. There were a few groups that hiked in for the day to fish, but we had the lake to ourselves the entire weekend alone each night. Over all, it was a nice trip and well worth the hard hike to get in there. The views were amazing!

This hike is pretty brutal from the east rosebud lake trail head as a day hike. A consistent grade, well maintained trail, through a 20 yr old burn for about 3
Miles. You gain about 3000 ft in elevation in 3.5-4 miles. Nice view of the lake and the mountaintop tundra is pretty cool.
A tough day hike. Would recommend spending the night at the lake and catching some golden trout in the morning and then heading back. But we
day hiked it...and survived. However, in this hikers opinion this is not a moderate trail. It hurt

From where you park your car at the trailhead to the top rock cairn above Sylvan Lake is around a 5-mile hike, almost all uphill. It was absolutley beautiful, though I would say that this hike is for medium to advanced hikers/backpackers. I would also advise hiking this trail in late summer, unless you enjoy trudging through some very deep snow. There are some good camping spots as well once you get near the lake.