Sioux Charley Lake Trail

Sioux Charley Lake Trail is a 6.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Nye, MT that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, birding, and fishing and is accessible from May until October.

This is my favorite day hike. Anytime we have visitors, this is where I bring them! Instant gratification, as it's beautiful as soon as you start out. I hike it often, & sometimes there's horse poo, other times not. Just depends. I would love to see a moose, but so far haven't seen one here. If anyone else has, please post about it!

This is one of my favorite trails! What makes Sioux Charley so great is that there's a mix of everything - the rushing river in a rocky gorge, shaded areas full of aspens and other trees, little bits of meadow, crossing a stream or two, great mountain views, and the peacefulness of the "lake" at the end. It's also an easy hike that most folks can do. It is 7.5 miles roundtrip (not 6.5, as advertised). It took us 3 hours, 40 minutes to complete, but we did stop often to take photos of the beautiful scenery!

Tons of horse poop on the trail. If you can get past that, beautiful easy hike along the creek most of the way. The "lake" is actually just a wide spot in the river.

Great day hike for the dogs. Plenty of water around for them to sip as needed. Beautiful gorge, and scenery all the way to the "lake". Quite a few people on the trail, throughout the afternoon. Unless I didn't go far enough, it was a widening of the river, and slow moving water, not an actual lake (this has already been stated...) Still beautiful, and a plenty long hike for "nominally in shape" folks. No bugs, few flowers left. No edible berries that I dared to try.

Beautiful hike, lots of wildflowers and raspberries along the way, my 8 and 9 year did great and were definitely worn out by the end. I would do this one again

Awesome hike with very little altitude change. Fishing was very good the day I went.

We love this hike! This was this first hike I took my little ones on, ages 3 & 5 at the time. Easy enough for them to do but challenging on little legs. They love this hike and for the distance it's a fairly quick hike. One of my favorites!

It was s great hike! With beautiful scenery! Longer then the posted signs said though!

This was a beautiful hike! The sign at beginning says 3.5 miles to that lake, but I really think this hike was about a mile longer (8 total). My girls (ages 8 and 4) both did great!

A lot of of activity and traffic, horse crap everywhere, but otherwise was well worth it. The canyon is stunning and the lake (which is more like a widening in the river) is beautiful and nice to soak your feet in. Good for day-hikes if you don't want the calf-buster hikes like Mystic.

Moderate hike. Amazingly beautiful scenery. Hiking along a white water river for the first half. Lots of rocks to maneuver for the first quarter of hike. Bring bug repellent!

great hike for a half day or make it a day at the lake. trail is well kept. great views throughout the entire trail. definitely a family friendly hike.

Beautiful hike! We had kids from ages 7-14 with us and they all enjoyed as well!

really love the first third of this hike..going through the gorge with the river right next to you...makes for incredible pictures. the variety of terrain is also a nice bonus..