Sawtooth Lake

Sawtooth Lake is a 8 mile out and back trail located near Dillon, MT and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from July until September.

Fantastic trail. Great views. We went in mid Oct, a little snow, but not bad.

Trail to the top is actually only 7 miles out and back. There are some other paths once you reach the mountain lake, but that is where the main trail ends.

Hiked it in the middle of October with no problems. A dusting of snow here and there, but nothing to slow you down. View at the top is totally worth it. Saw plenty of bear droppings so make sure to hike with bear spray at least.

Nice consistent grade climb from trailhead.

Hiked in for a night with my little sister last week, and had a great time. Fish were jumping like crazy when we arrived, unfortunately the wind picked up shortly after and made fly fishing difficult at best. Lake was beautiful and the hike was easy.

Very fun hike! Did it last weekend (6/4/16) and towards the top had to make through deep snow in some parts. Mildly inconvenient (just bring extra socks!) but still fun! The lake was absolutely beautiful. Couldn't make it to the plane wreckage due to snow, but will definitely do this hike again! In my opinion it was the perfect length for a day hike. Not overly long but you definitely feel like you worked for the awesome views!

We did this last summer. picked wild raspberries, saw the plane wreckage, and found a geocache! Beautiful area.

we had a blast hiking this today. we saw the plane crash and had a great lunch at the lake. We are not in shape but made it there and back in about 5 hours.

This was such a wonderful hike. Backpacked into the lake and stayed the night on 8/11, and loved it. The hike is rated at moderate, but I'd say the first 2.5 miles are easy, and the last 1.5 miles is easy with moderate sections. The lake itself is beautiful, and has a great population of brook trout that will bite any lure that provides action. I noticed they will not bite anything sitting idle though, so cast and reel, cast and reel. If you plan on camping, hit the far end of the left side of the lake, there is an excellent large camp spot with fire ring thats tucked into a nice copse of pines. This camp spot is also only a few hundred yards from the open grassy area that has the remnants of the 1959 plane crash, which is worth checking out. Definitely a hike I intend to do again, and would be the hike I chose if I was introducing a friend to backpacking, as the easy hike, great scenery, and great fishing make it a perfect introductory backpacking trip.

Fun, kinda long, some steep parts, but great! It wasn't too hard, though, because my great grandma and little sister both made it up. Once we got to the lake, we fished, ate lunch, and had a good time. There are fire rings on the eastern side of the lake, inside the trees. It would be fun to backpack up there with a tent and stay overnight. There is actually some really cool WW2 plane wreckage outside the lake that was fun to look at.