Saint Mary Peak Trail

Saint Mary Peak Trail is a 6.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Stevensville, MT that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

very worth it. My favorite hike in the bitteroot.

Beautiful- snowy, windy and cold at the top

Well maintained trail. Great views.

Good trail - my gps said it was 3.5 miles up and was worth every step. I am not a big hiker and was most surprised how long it took to get to the trail head, was 10 miles from where I was in stevensville and took 40 mins as the road is crazy small and windy (bring a 4x4 if you can). Views at top were great, observation tower had a crew in it and she was happy to show us the tower and point out some key things. Make sure you get a picture of the toilet (best view you've ever seen). Great hike and make sure you bring a windbreaker - cold at the top (was 70 a start - 60 and windy at the top).

Tough hike but completely worth it in the end.

such a nice hike...tough hike near the end... but the view was totally worth every bit of it. the man at the watch tower was very lind and friendly, and the 360 degree view was breathtaking. it took us about 5 hours total... but we are not in great shape lol. amazing!!!!

not for the faint of heart, beautiful views.

Super tough, but totally worth it!

Amazing views once you reach the top.

Trail was good for the first few miles, after that it was snow covered and not at all marked. We hiked in the snowfields for about a mile and a half, until we totally lost footprints and any hint of a cleated trail. Markers up in the snowfield would be helpful. Beautiful trail, but not at all marked.

Worth it

Very heavily used, the road is very rough but any car could make it up just fine as long as there is no snow on the road! We hiked with the first snow and it was freezing but absolutely worth it! I recommend this hike! Took us 2.5 hours to reach the summit and that was at a leisurely pace.

Really nice hike. Did this as most of the West is on fire. The view was lacking due to all the smoke. However, the hike was fun. Not as hard as we expected. Would live to do it again when there are clear skies.

Wow! What a nice hike! My gps says that the trail is 9.3 miles out and back. Felt every bit of that to me. Steady uphill to the lookout. Spring 1.3 miles up that requires filtering to be drinkable. Nice arch over the trail with dead bent trees 2.6 miles up where we stashed water for the hike back. Lots of wiildflowers. Ripe hucks down low. Spectacular views from the top. No snow this year! My 6 year old made this hike. Lookout not staffed yet.

Beautiful hike. Steady up until peak but gorgeous views. Nice to find a spring about 1.5 miles in!

This hike has amazing views at the top, and along the way. We hiked this in late May, 2015. The trail was intermediate and well worn. Although, at the point 2 miles in where there is a sign indicating entrance into the Bitterroot Wilderness the trail was largely covered in snow up to the summit. We expected the snow but due to the lack of any trail markers, blazes, or cairns it was difficult to find the trail at times. Thankfully the lookout tower was in view at this point so as we got closer to the top we eventually found the trail again. If you are an inexperienced hiker I would advise waiting until more snow is gone.

My group of women from age 53 to 70 hiked this trail in 2013. If you are a well conditioned senior, it's a hike that is very rewarding. We took it slow and rested along the way. The air is thinner up there, but if you have all day, just take your time and enjoy it!