Sacajawea Peak

Sacajawea Peak is a 4.1 mile out and back trail located near Bozeman, MT and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until September.

4.1 miles 1936 feet Out & Back

We took my 76-year-old father on this hike. Mind you... He thinks he's still in his 20's. We had read another review rating this moderate. I would rate it as hard. The hike to the base of the pass was moderate. Lots of switchback all the way to the peak. It becomes difficult from the base up. The path narrows, and is sometimes difficult to know which way. The path veers in many ways... Some more difficult than others. Lots of lose rock and Steep! I would definitely recommend hiking boots and a trecking stick. I rate this as difficult due to the path narrowing, lose rock and steepness. Just take your time and enjoy. We had 60+ mph winds once we hit the pass.... Which added to the difficulty. It was a total of almost 8 mi and took us 5hrs.... Taking our time. Great hike with beautiful views.

This was my first time summiting a nearly 10k ft. We went in early June and it was still alot of snow. the road to the trail head was closed so we had to hike about 2+ miles in from the parking lot. Lots of snow. some parts were up past my thighs. It was definitely a difficult hike, especially bc I didn't have waterproof hiking shoes, just regular tennis shoes. The hike up was strenuous. Not gonna lie, I thought about turning back around, but I'm glad I didn't. It was hot, thank goodness I layered. Bring lots of water to hydrate. we made it to the top in 4 hrs. That last scramble to the peak was killer. The mountain goat at the top made up for the killer hiker up. on the way down, I sat on my butt and slid down on the snow! that saved probably an hour! Took 2 minutes to slide down one section of the mountain. Lots of fun. got wet and the butt was numbed but love it! Took us about 3 hrs to hike out but we did get lost. it was hard to see the trail with all the snow and tracks were all over the place. Could have made it out in 2.5 if we hadn't gotten lost for 30 minutes. total hiked about 9.5 miles, including the hike from parking lot to TH. By the time I I got to my car, my knees wouldn't bend anymore. I'm sure I walked like a penguin for a few days...BUT WORTH IT!

This beautiful hike is fairly strenuous, as is the ride on the six-mile rocky trail connecting the highway to the Fairy Lake trailhead. Even in late July, with temps in the 90s in the valley, there were still a few patches of snow on the east face. The trailhead is forested, but quickly gives way to a rocky, serpentine ascent through the bowl to the ridge line. The views are spectacular! But the hike continues southward along the ridge for a quarter-mile or so until the final ascent to the peak. Keep an eye out for mountain goats, which were out today.

Hiked in early July; almost no snow left on the trail. As others note, mountain goats are everywhere on this trail, and view is amazing.

Excellent! This was my first higher elevation trail and it kicked my butt. I was surprised to see that the trail was heavily trafficked but it was still worth the climb. Highly recommended!

Can't put into words the incredible sights and trail this is!! Newly come from CA and boy did that elevation slap me across the face!! can't wait to do it again. It's up past fairy lake campground. Super popular trail and if you're lucky you get to see a whole mountain goat!

For those who have a modicum of mountain fitness this is a accessible and fairly easy hike. If the road to fairy lake campground is closed you will have to hike in the extra distance. Easy to navigate, once you get in the bowl, just head up towards the low ridge, even if you may lose the trail at times, the trail is clearly seen on top.

The hike up to Sacajawea Peak is definitely an all day event! Located on the East face of the Bridger Range, this hike will take you to to the highest peak in the range, ~9,900 ft. From the trailhead, immediately adjacent to the Fairy Lake Campground, this hike starts in the trees then quickly starts a series of switchbacks up to a saddle between Sacajawea peak and Hardscrabble Peak. From here turn South (left) towards Sacajawea. This is an exposed West face so bring sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses (hopefully it's a sunny day)! More switchbacks loom up ahead. Watch your step on the gravel slope on the way up. From Sacajawea Peak, you can see all of the Bridger Range, the Crazy Mountains to the East and countless other summits to the South and West. On clear days, some people have said you can see to the Butte Highlands! Bring extra water and your camera. Your return trip should follow the same path to the car.