Sacagawea Peak

Sacagawea Peak is a 4.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Bozeman, MT and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until October.

4.1 miles 1936 feet Out & Back

Pros: Spectacular views from lower saddle to top, small summer glaciers, fragrant Fraser forests, views of Crazy Mountains, Tobacco Root Mountains, and Gallatin Range in distance on clear days.
Cons: Lots of switchbacks, some confusing below the pass, no water above Fairy Lake, windy from the pass upwards.
Recommendations: Trekking poles, extra water, windbreaker, baselayers.

Loved this trail. The views are stunning. Prepare for strong winds when you reach the top. Trail is narrow and switchbacks nicely to handle the grade.

November 5th: the trail at the top was covered in ice so climbing directly through the loose rocks seemed much easier at the time. The view was spectacular!! But the hike was really rough and I will definitely be sore tomorrow.

Good hike but it's either deadly winds at the top or nothing and I keep getting unlucky. the hike around the other side is also very gorgeous.

Dirt road to the trailhead had lots of rocks/washboard, but well worth the drive to hike the tallest peak in the Bridgers. The trail gains a lot of elevation, switchbacks most of the way up. The last leg of the hike up to the peak from the saddle has a lot of hard scrabble/loose rocks and can be a bit treacherous coming down. Mountain goats can almost always be found near the top. Great hike!

This is a short, yet steep hike. In just over two miles the trail gains nearly 2,000 feet of elevation. Since you're starting high and ending even higher, the air will feel thin most of the way. On top of all this, there's a good chance for snow on parts of the trail well into the summer, adding to the difficulty. Here is a site with more details and photos: www.montanatrailbriefs.com/hikes/fairy-lake-to-sacagawea-peak

It was a great hike! One of my favorites in the area. Mountain goat herd may meet you at the top. It's also really easy to swing up to the other peak from the saddle. It's a little harder but shorter and with fewer people and the views are just as amazing. Worth the work to get up to either!

Wonderful views. If you go early in the season the trail will be covered in snow in several places and the access road might be closed a good bit away from the trailhead, so call in advance unless you want to hike the road as well. The access road is rough, but you can do it just fine in a sedan so long as you take your time. When I went in mid-June the trail still had very few people on it, and it was just me and two mountain goats on the summit! I also so a bear from a distance, so stay alert. Definitely recommend this trail, it's my favorite in the Bridger Mountains so far!

Beautiful hike and well-worth the climb. Decent number of people on the trail, but we still saw a mountain goat.

It was not too hard until just below the peak and even then you can take it slow and survive. It was worth all of the hard work! I'm ready to go again because the views were amazing.

Amazing. It never stops going up. Lots of work, but well worth it at the top.

An absolutely amazing hike. We did this as part of our 10-yr anniversary trip and for a couple of flatlanders it was quite a workout. Nothing like gaining about a 1000' a mile. Once at the top it is well worth it. I can't wait to take my kids back to do this hike once they are older.

We love this trail. It's beautiful scenery and we got to the summit we actually got to see some mountain goats from about 5 feet away from us. Be sure to spray with bug repellent before you get on the trail of the flies are horrible.