Ptarmigan Trail to Cosley Lake

Ptarmigan Trail to Cosley Lake is a 26.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near East Glacier Park, MT that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until September.

Started at the Swiftcurrent Motor Inn hiked past the Ptarmigan Falls, and Ptarmigan Lake. Very beautiful trail, lots of cool people. This is a pretty difficult trail, you ascend 2,300ft. I definitely recommend this trail!

It is a scenic hike. Once you take the cutoff to go to the tunnel, there is a pretty steep climb then it levels off. We hiked it in July and were not prepared for the weather. It was cold when we started in the morning and when we reached the tunnel, it was completely covered by a cloud. On the way down, it rained, thundered and hailed on us. So go prepared for all weather. It can change in a heartbeat.

Awesome!!

Great hike, saw a grizzly up close. Elevation gain is quite gradual except the final switchbacks. Not too hard at all with great views!

Second best hike I took in Glacier only to the Highline Trail. This one is tough, with three separate tough elevation gains throughout the trail to the tunnel. The last march up the switchbacks was tough but the view kept getting better, which always alleviates the pain for me. Definitely watch out for bears on this one, especially early in the morning. I had three near misses cause I left before 8 AM. Wait a little longer, it may be hot for you but it's also hot for them and they go sleepytime :) Great great great hike loved it!

Wowza! Strenuous with little moderation. Wooo hooo! Switchback heaven OR hell depending on your perspective.

Unimaginable beauty, and a defining point would be the totally different vista when you exit the tunnel on the other side. This hike rates right up there as one of my favs because you have an immediate kick your butt elevation gain and then you have an immediate kick your butt elevation gain and THEN you have Lake Ptarmigan for a nice 'soak your feet in a cold pristine alpine lake and rinse your head wrap.' After that? Yah, the switch back with a major kick your butt elevation gain, for a total of 2500 feet. Do it!

Fantastic trail- breaks off into a Y from the Iceberg Lake Trail. It's amazing to think about how the tunnel and the trail leading up to it was built, and all the history behind it. Steep at times, but worth it to see beyond the tunnel- the views beyond are absolutely phenomenal. I felt like I had crossed into an alternate space-time continuum going from Glacier National Park into some Tolkien-esque realm of fantasy. Definitely hike down past the other end of the tunnel, truly a magical sight to see.

Stunning hike, it was our favorite hike on our backcountry trip through the north-eastern portion of Glacier. If you're day-hiking this, I highly suggest trekking the extra couple miles BEYOND the tunnel! You won't regret it!

Loved this hike! combined with iceberg lake for a nice, somewhat long day hike. Wonderful example of good GNP hiking

What an amazing hike! There was a Youth Group hiking at the time we were so that made for a few more people than what is the norm. Great views, what a feeling of accomplishment since it really kicked my butt!

Wonderful Hike! Glacier National Park is Amazing!