Mystic Lake Trail

Mystic Lake Trail is a 5.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roscoe, MT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

I've been to this lake early on in the season when the water is super low and when full and both views are amazing. My entire family loves this hike and it makes for a great day hike or an overnight stay. I've taken both my ten and six year old up without issues.

It was an awesome hike! My wife and I with our first born tried this before back in 1987 but never made it to the lake due to the weather changing up on top so we hike back down. Three kids and four grandsons later...finally made it.

The hike gets hard as one hits the switchbacks if not in shape. Take rest breaks as needed, and don't rush. The lake is very much worth it. I hiked farther in for camping and fishing and would definitely do it again.

Great hike and perfect for kids!

We hiked this trail June 2016 and it was wonderful. We had 4 children (7, 10, 11, and 12). We all loved it! We took a picnic to enjoy by the lake. The trail was very manageable and the views were outstanding. It was our favorite hike from our trip.

This was a beautiful day hike, with the reward of breathtaking views at the end! I wasn't prepared for the intensity of the last 1/2 of the trail though. Once you hit the rocks/switchbacks it's tough going for a middle aged woman who isn't in tip-top shape. A day later my calves are screaming at me! If I do this one again, I'll probably only go as far as the bridge.....unless I get myself in much better shape!

Fun hike, beautiful scenery!

Loved every bit of this trail and looking forward to coming back before summer is over

Wonderful easy hike with a ton of beautiful streams, mountains, and lakes. Saw a lot of hikers that had all ranges of ages from children to people in their 50's+. Great for a day hike or overnight camping. Lakes have good fishing that I recommend to try out. Would do again!

Excellent hike!

It was really fun

Hiked the first week of March. One of the most beautiful hikes I've been on. Be wary of incoming snowstorms at the top. We made it to the Lake but were forced to descend as a blizzard was coming in. Was still sunny and gorgeous once we returned to the trailhead!

Breathtaking. Absolutely beautiful. We went up in mid-November, so there was snow and ice along the way, but well worth it.

Way cool--I would love to hike this trail. Funny, never heard of it until recently. And yeah, Roscoe, MT is named after my great great grandmother's (Nancy E. George Brown Morris) mare Roscoe. Next time I am in Montana, I am definitely checking this one out!

This trail has everything you could want in a trail. Various terrain, various difficulties and glorious grand finale. We walked along a river, we walked in the woods, and we winded our way up the side of a boulder laid mountain. And then the lake! You come around the corner and if you don't get the biggest smile, you need to take a look at where you came from and then where you are. The lake is stunning. I will be making this trail a regular on my list for sure. There is camping at the base if you'd like to spend more time there. There seems to be plenty of fishing and climbing near. It's gonna be hard to top this one. I'd give it a 97 out of 100.