Mount Brown Lookout Trail

Mount Brown Lookout Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near West Glacier, MT that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible from March until October. Horses are also able to use this trail.

old growth

Mount Brown Lookout is not a hike for the faint of heart. The trail branches off of the Sperry Chalet and Snyder Lake trail. The trail shoots straight up to an elevation gain of 4,315 feet. There are between 30-35 switchbacks. For the. Majority of the hike you will be immersed in heavy woods.

This trail is an all-around ass kicker! If you like a challenge and are into feeling the pain for the gain do this hike! You will be happy with your view at the end as well as with the lookouts along the way once you've hiked an hour or two.

This trail is a must if visiting the park. It took me 2 1/2 hours to make it to the top. I'm 21 and only took about 10 minutes worth of a break. For the average person I would give yourself 3-3 1/2 hours. I then gave myself a 30 minute break up top. The views are awesome up there. I uploaded some photos but they don't do the justice of what it feels like in person.

We did this hike the first week in April. The first couple miles were snowless, after that the snow got DEEP. We wore snowshoes for the last half. 1/2 mile from the top we lost the trail due to snow/no previous traffic. One of the most brutal hikes I've ever done, but the views were amazing. Coming down was an absolute blast. We pretty much skied on our snowshoes. Saved lots of time and stress on the knees.

Mount Brown was a beautiful hike, very steady uphill climb throughout but not technically difficult. I would recommend bringing hiking poles. The descend is especially hard on the knees. We are in your twenties and in slightly above average shape, it took us 3.5 hours to get up the trail and 2.5 hours to come down, with lots of short breaks. The view on the top is worth every struggle. Mountain goat sightings was just the cherry on top. There is a little bit of snow coming up to the lookout, and on the summit part, so prepare accordingly.

Hiked it over July 2015
Wow talk about a strugggggggggle. Nothing but up. Be prepared for a good time as you are challenged to the max. Enjoy the views to keep you clear of the abyss where you might begin to think you can't do it.
Incredibly quiet hike only saw a few people coming down and no one at the lookout while we rewarded ourselves with a beer.
I believe we started around 3pm and finished around 8pm.
Once done go and enjoy a burger by the lake at the lodge!!

Steep hike to an old fire lookout . Wonderful vista views from the top.

Amazing views! Some of the best Views I've ever seen on any hike. Very strenuous though. All uphill and around 30-35 switchbacks. Pack lots of water and big spray. Great workout with a great pay off. There is a false summit though. I call it point of despair (where you can see the lookout from the trail). Don't lose hope though! Don't do this hike if you have knee problems.

Great views from lookout with a demanding trail with many switchbacks. Snowflakes @ lookout July 4th 2010. A must hike for the serious hiker looking for a great view.