Mount Ascension

Mount Ascension is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Helena, Montana that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Began the hike around 12:30. Left around 3:00. It we a warm November evening an snow had not yet arrived, so we gave it a shot. This was my second mountain biking experience, and I guess I just expected it to be more epic. You hike for 1- 1 1/2 hours and a 1/2 downhill. What can I say? It's not Big Sky.

Great trail close enough to town for a quick hike, but far enough away to forget that you're in Helena.

A series of well marked trails offering a decent ascent to Mt. Ascension. At the saddle, heading to the peak away from My. Ascension affords even better views.

Trails aren't marked well, but worth the view. The map above is far off from what's there, otherwise very pleased.

This trail feels more wild than Mount Helena. It's harder to navigate with less defined trails, but don't let that stop you. The view at the top is stunning and well worth the effort!

For some reason I find Mount Ascension intimidating. I think it's because there are so many trails intersecting, etc. that it's not easy to map out a route. This is another edge-of-town hike in Helena where the trails are heavily used. This means a lot of trail breakdown that makes using them somewhat unpleasant.