Hellroaring Plateau Trail

Hellroaring Plateau Trail is a 7.7 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Red Lodge, MT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, fishing, and backpacking and is accessible from May until October.

7.7 miles 3210 feet Point to Point

this was or first hike using this app. really wish we had printed off the map. we went off the description and got a bit lost. lol but found our way back to the trail. it is a stunning hike with trees rivers and a great incline.... so it's a little bit of a hike. I wouldn't take novice children on this hike. we hit snow so we will be going back to finish this hike later this spring or early summer!!!!

My son and I went up for a Saturday/Sunday overnight. We hiked around, caught some trout in Snowbank Lake, and stayed the night. Didn't see another living soul until Sunday afternoon. It was late September, so the nights were cold. The "road" is more like a wide trail and very rough, don't even try it without a full size truck or SUV.

Great Hike. But BEWARE the road up to the plateau is more then just rugged. Its terrible and kinda scary. Basically you are driving on boulders and rocks the whole way up. If you don't have a truck or an SUV do not even try.

Took my pup and we spent a few hours up top roaming around. Its quite windy so we would take cover behind boulders every once in a while to take a drink of water and take in the beautiful scenery. Its pretty high and very fun. Less of a trail more of a expanse of area to explore.

Beautiful blooming sage

Awesome hike. Beautiful and peaceful. The few times I've been here there's hardly anyone around. And it's worth hiking up to the upper basin lake - much much better fishing.

Amazing trail and views.

The Beartooth Wilderness has many hiking and backpacking opportunities. The Hellroaring Plateau is a great starting point. Bring bear spray and a bearproof container for food. Be prepared for weather. I don't agree with it being accessible from May to October though. More like July to September. Great view and great fishing. At some of the alpine lakes I caught 50+ fish in just a couple hours. Watch for bears though.