Golden Trout Lakes Trail

Golden Trout Lakes Trail is a 4.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gallatin Gateway, MT that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

fly fishing

It was difficult driving up the road to get to the beginning of the trail, so I recommend a vehicle that can handle the rough road; preferably a truck or AWD. Once you get to the beginning of the trail, the hike is a nice little workout until you reach the final location of Golden Trout Lakes. I believe that the roundtrip distance is a little off compared to this site in my opinion, but I totally recommend this hike to anyone.

fly fishing

road frikin stinks, caughts me sum phatees at the top tho

Beautiful hike, but uncertain footing along much of the rock-strewn trail. Gorgeous views make this fairly strenuous climb worth it. Unfortunately, a storm blew in sent us back down the hill about a quarter-mile from the lakes. #NextTime

This is a very beautiful trail with a nice reward at the end. I will bring a fishing pole next time. I've been trying to catch a Golden Trout for years! I had no idea they existed in MT. The trail was well marked and in good shape. I would rate this as an easy trail, but then again I'm an experienced hiker.

great hiking, fishing and camping!

It was a great day hike even for the kids! My 5 yr old made it up and back. We were able to catch a total of 5 Golden Trouts while fishing the lake. It's a gorgeous lake in a beautiful spot!! I would recommend it to others for sure! The road getting there has some rough spots and certainly isn't great for cars.

This trailhead is somewhat difficult to find. You go up portal creek rd until you see upper portal creek trailhead. Note: the road is not in the best shape and may be difficult to drive a sedan. Then you can park and walk past the trailhead sign and see the golden trout lakes trailhead which will take you about 1.5 miles then you will find trail number 83 to the left and veer off that direction. Great Lake. Great golden trout

Good place to try to catch a Golden Trout. Nice hike, starts out pretty flat then gains pretty quick.

This is a great little hidden gem in the Gallatin Canyon. The trail is definitely a challenge, but the pay off is worth the work. Crystal clear water, soaring peaks to the south, and as much sky as your eyes can take in. Bring your fly rod if you can brave the chilly alpine waters. If you want to hike further, there is additional trail that will take you to the peak to the south. Great place for lunch and photos!