Fairy Lake Trail

Fairy Lake Trail is a 5 mile loop trail located near Bozeman, MT that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until October.

From Main street in Bozeman take Bridger Canyon Road (Hwy 86) North for roughly 26 miles. Turn left on Fairy Lake Road and follow for 11 miles to the campground. The last 5 miles of road is gravel.

There were private property/keep out signs all over, made us very uncomfortable. There's a fork in the road once you reach the Fairy Lake National Forest area, if you go left (like a sheriff told us to do) it has a security gate and access is completely blocked. The sheriff assured us it was all public land, but it was just not the kind of day we were looking for; No relaxation or hiking to be found there for us. Left and hiked another NF area. There was also a group of around ten law enforcement vehicles out there today, pretty odd.

fly fishing

I love this hike, it was very easy, never really out of breath. I saw a lot of wildlife signs... which is good :) the lake is just beautiful! there is a rope swing for those who want to hop in for a dip. great hike in my opinion!

the drive to the lane was way worse than the hike. the hike was basically a walk around the lake but it was beautiful and offered great views in some areas id you went off the trail just a bit.

Fairy Lake is a truly breath-taking alpine lake hidden in the Bridger Range. The road gets pretty rough about 2-3 mi from the lake, so bring a vehicle w/ some clearance (nothing TOO extreme necessary). The trail itself is a simple look that tends to hug the lake shore. The water is crystal clear; if you keep an eye on the water you'll often see schooling 15"+ cutthroats cruising for food. This hike isn't a very closely guarded secret, so don't expect to have the lake to yourself.

Final thought, you can swim here, but even in early August, the water is FRIGID cold! But it's great for cooling off after hiking Sacajawea! :-)

It's worth the drive going to Fairy Lake. The trail along the lake is pretty short and level and have a beautiful all around. Great place to hike with your families and swim afterwards. Camera would be very handy to capture the beauty of the place.

Wow, what an amazing place. My girlfriend and I just went up with the dogs for the first time over the weekend. Everyone enjoyed swimming in this beautiful, crystal clear lake and you can't get much better scenery. We definitely plan on coming back. The road up was not as bad as some people led us to believe (we were in a Chevy Malibu), although a high clearance vehicle would be preferable. We also stayed at the nearby campground which was free and offered great views as well.

Don't miss this one! The views are breathtaking. Good hot day hike, lots of tree cover as you walk around the lake. Good places to go into the water which will definitely cool you off. My dogs love the swimming also.

This is an easy hike around a beautiful small lake. I saw one woman wearing rubber thongs. My GPS measured it as .80 mile, not 1.2. Be sure to bring bug spray for the biting flies, but it is well worth the trip. It was a beautiful drive to the trail, 23 miles of paved road from I-90 and 7th St.and then an additional 6 miles of dirt rd to the Trailhead. You don't need 4X, but a high clearance vehicle is recommended. The wild flowers off of the road in early July were amazing.

I love this place! I have been going to Fairy Lake and wandering the trail since I was a little one. The trail is easy for anyone, little tike to grandmother, and offers wonderful views. The lake is very clear and picturesque. There is also a nice little picnic area above the lake to enjoy a nice summer picnic.

This is a beautiful walk suitable for all ages. Fairy Lake is such a picturesque scene, absolutely pristine wilderness at its best! I would recommend this to everyone!