Danny on Memorial National Recreation Trail

Danny on Memorial National Recreation Trail is a 6 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Whitefish, MT that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

6.0 miles Point to Point

beautiful, good length!

We really enjoyed this mountain trail. Gorgeous wildlowers and also berry bushes.

Great views throughout. Thoroughly enjoyed this hike, especially the ice cold beer that was served at the top.

Hike was beautiful

I haven't hiked this in several years, but enjoyed it when I lived in Whitefish. There are huckleberries to pick in season, there's the possibility to see a bear or moose and you can take the lift down and enjoy the view of the Flathead valley. Yes, the trail is poorly marked near the top. Just head for the restaurant at the summit. Also, there could be deep snow early in the year - even in early June if it was a good winter. Check the Web cams.

This is a better Idea of the Danny On trail On Big Mountain Montana. http://www.summitpost.org/big-mountain-mt/522116 They do need better trail markers though.

My best friend lives in Whitefish Montana, one summer we hiked the Avalanche Lake trail and did the Danny On trail two days later. We took the Ski lift up and we intended to hike the trial down. However the trail is so poorly marked that we missed the trial where it crosses a bike path and ended up taking the bike path down, big mistake. Very hard way to go down . Also this map has it marked wrong it's trail head is at the Ski Resort and you can hike it round trip. or pay for the ski lift up or if you hike up you can ride down for free on the lift. I would like to do it again but hike it round trip.

Poorly marked train lead to the end of, well, the top of a chairlift. Was tough to find the trailhead. You'll end up walking back on a fire road.

One of the most frequent hikes I went on when I lived in the area. Loved the view of the valley from the top. You can see Whitefish, Columbia Falls, Kalispell all the way to Flathead Lake. Once you reach the summit, there is a restaurant/gift shop/mini museum you can visit and purchase souvenirs if you'd like. I liked to ride the ski lift down to try to capture views of wildlife in the area.

pretty good trail. just to clear some things up. this trail is 4 miles one way. you fan ride the ski lift up and hike down or hike up and ride down. I choose to hike up and back down, so round trip was 8 miles and took about 4 hours too complete. overall, I liked this trail. it was surprisingly tough having gained 2000 feet in elevation over the 4 miles. but the views it offered of the valley, and whitefish lake and beyond were amazing. I only wish the flower point loop had been open when I had hiked this trail

I've done the straight up trail and the Danny On Trail that wraps behind the mountain. Both are amazing. I would do the longer trail for families since its easier. The views are great and the hike is enjoyable. For more serious hikers looking for a better workout- take the steep trail that goes straight up the mountain. The wildflowers are gorgeous! Also if you stop to take a break turn around. You can see the whole valley on a clear day! I do this hike over and over and it never gets old. Bring water and bug spray. Restrooms at the bottom and the top. Parking shouldn't be a problem. If you are taking the gondola down don't forget to buy a ticket. You can buy tickets at the bottom and the top.