Clary Coulee

Clary Coulee is a 10.7 mile loop trail located near Choteau, MT and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from July until September.

Fantastic trail with sweeping views of Rocky Mountain front range to the west and the Great Plains to the east. Trail climbs steadily and is in decent shape apart from areas where the trail crosses open grassland. In some places the trail disappears nearly completely aside from telltale signs of trampled grass. A short walk from the first saddle to the east reveals a great promontory for views to the east. Continue climbing up to where the trail dead ends at Blindhorse Creek. At the dead end, walk left to the crest of a hill, where you'll be treated to an "amphitheater" of Rocky Mountains sweeping more than 180 degrees.

Beautiful! We went 1 May and there was still some snow in the forested areas, but nothing waterproof boots can't handle. We didn't get all the way to the end but it was still worth it. Will definitely be doing this one again!

The trail is a steady climb, not too strenuous though. I was allergic to something on that particular trail which was a challenge for me, so if you have allergies don't be like me and forget your pills! I enjoyed the views at the top, it is a perfect spot for a panoramic photo. You can see in all directions!