Blue Lake

Blue Lake is a 7.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Melville, MT that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking and horses. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

great Hike, interesting rock formations, and lots of wandering paths around the lakes.

Foragers will find Raspberries, Huckleberries, and elderberries in abundance around Mid August.

The Crazy Mountains are called crazy because the weather changes so crazily - or so I've been told. The dates that I visited this location (September 8 and 9, 2014, were crazy. The weather was crisp but warm enough for short sleeve t-shirt, and the sun was shining. Set up camp at Half Moon campground. It was so late in the season the camping fee box was already sealed for the winter and the water pump handles were removed. (I had brought in my own water.) Overnight the temp dropped to freezing and a thick fog rolled in. I did the hike anyway with the trail still easy to follow in the fog (and I had a track laid out on my gps). I did get to Blue Lake, but I did not "see" it through the fog. The hike itself is very enjoyable. When I came back down the mountain I had a weather update that called for freezing sleet, so I sadly packed up camp a day early. I am going back in 2016... hoping to see the lake this time.

We were there back in August 2015. The road to get to the trailhead is horrendous at the time, not sure if that is a one off or just how it is, but we nearly got car sick bouncing around from about halfway in until we got to the parking lot, in a 4 wheel drive vehicle which seems like a must. BUT, with that being said, the trail itself more than made up for that bump in the road (or bumps!). Big Timber Falls is a great first stop, and it only gets better from there. The scenery is amazing! I was awestruck the entire hike, stopping here and there just to take in the beauty of the area. Never seen anything like it in my life!

Nice day hike or base camp for a couple days of exploring. The .4 mile side trip to Timber Falls is a very short must.

Phenomenal place. Great scenery, lots of flowers and lofty peaks. Fishing wasn't the best as I remember, probably due to all of the traffic. Please respect the no fire rule around the lakes, this is a busy place.

Great hiking and camping. To Blue Lake - 4 hours in, 2 hours out. Be aware of the wood fire restrictions. Don't miss Big Timber Creek Falls about 5+ minutes into hike (sign and path on left). Or the falls just above the first bridge on the right. Horseback trail rides available in area. It looked like the Lazy K Bar Ranch provided cabins and horses.

Great backpacking trip with our 3 teenagers. After 3rd bridge, finding trail was difficult, lots of snow (June) but we found our way up to the drainage pond below Granite and Blue lake. Also along trail, one huge washed out ravine to climb down and over, there is a horse path marked there also. Beautiful scenery! We loved this home, also stop at big timber falls on your way out

I rode my dirt bike up... There's an awesome trail for 4x4s or dirt bikes! Good trip for the off roders!

A challenging yet not too long of a hike for those new to hiking. This trail begins at the trail head near Half Moon Campgrounds in Big Timber Canyon. There is plenty of parking for day hikers.

The trail itself is quite groomed except maybe the last mile up the mountain to the lake. This part of the hike can get pretty rocky and rough on the feet. It is a beautiful hike that crossed the Big Timber creek 3 times, all 3 with man-made bridges for easy crossing.

Total round trip took us 6 hours, mainly because none of us were in hiking shape and we had about 4 kids with us and stopped plenty to rest and swim. 4 Hours up, 2 hours down.