Black Canyon of the Yellowstone Trail

Black Canyon of the Yellowstone Trail is a 41.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Gardiner, MT that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November.

Nice 3 day trip. I took the Black Tail trail out. Last day started with a 2 mile grind up hill, but was worth the effort. Creeks are high late May and early June. Plan on the extra 3.8 mile hike and cross hell roaring bridge.

This trail is fairly level, you can definitely do it in less then three days, I have done it in one day. If you come out at Gardiner the last part of the trail is in the open and can get very hot in the summer. A friend got Giardia drinking the water on the trail. It is in the trees and after the first mile or two the number of people goes way down. There are some nice campsites along the river. In the spring when we did this our legs were covered in ticks so beware. This year the trail was pretty clear of snow. I have seen bears on this trail, black bears.