Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area

DIFFICULTY 1 reviews

Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area is located near Lodge Grass, MT. The trail is primarily used for birding.

Bighorn Canyon National Recreation Area covers parts of Montana and Wyoming. I drove down and went through Lovell. I stopped at the visitor center there - where you now pay the $5 day fee/$30 year fee as the "fee boxes" were closed. There are over 25 miles of trails in the Southern section of this park. The first section I explored was part of the " 19,000-acre Yellowtail Wildlife Habitat Management Area". I hiked in 1/2 mile twice to see a couple of the historic ranches. There are 4 ranches to explore. Devil Canyon Overlook makes for a interesting place to break.. We took a hike off trail to follow the path that the mustangs follow. Some of the mustangs are easily seen from the road. They also offer kayak and canoe rentals at the first boating/campground, Horseshoe Bend. Tent camping was free on a first come first serve basis. I stayed at Trail creek. Although the camping spots were small they had fire pits and "bear boxes" for your food. There was also a bathroom, trash bins and recycling bins. This is an excellent spot to have your "home base".