Beehive Basin Trail No. 40

Beehive Basin Trail No. 40 is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Sky Mountain Village, Montana that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and backpacking and is accessible from May until October.

Out of Bozeman, take Hey 191 south to Big Sky. Turn at the light and heads towards Big Sky Resort and Lone Peak. Continue up past the turn to Big Sky Resort. Prior to the Moonlight Basin entrance, take a right on Beehive Basin Road. Continue to trail head and park in the designated area.

Pros: Fantastic views, summer meadow wildflowers, glacier lakes, moderate grades, occasional shade.
Cons: Limited parking

One of my favorites. Unfortunately, a lot of other people think so too, so it can get busy. It is so beautiful and well worth the trip.

Strenuous but well maintained. Beautiful views even on a cloudy cold say.

One of my favorites! The hike is very entertaining, with various views and terrains along the way. The lake is like a little mountain-top oasis. We had the whole place to ourselves the last time we did the hike. It was great!

Great hike. Creek and lake for dogs to drink.

Good challenge for a family hike. We took all our kids between two families -- ages 8, 7, 6, 5, 4 and an infant. All the kids made it and the lake at the top is beautiful. It is a long hike for the kids though.

This hike was slightly strenuous but I still had plenty of energy at the top. Don't stop at the lake, the trail winds its way up to the rock fall under the butte and the views from up there are unbelievable.

Great hike...

Gorgeous alpine hike with wildflowers, stream, and pretty scenery. 1.5 hours to the lake (at my pace). I hiked past the lake up a steep scramble of rocky trail to stand in the wind and view the valley from above (another hour-ish). This is a contender for my favorite trail near Bozeman.

I hiked beyond the lake another 1/2mile. Although its a popukar hike, few hikers continue beyond the lake. For a panoramic view...keep goin'!