Basin Lakes Trail No. 61

Basin Lakes Trail No. 61 is a 5.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Red Lodge, Montana that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Awesome hike! It was immensely beautiful up there. The steep trail is pretty challenging but well worth it.

Very pretty. My husband and I hiked to the upper lake and it was a little more than we bargained for, but we'll worth it! Make sure you wear good shoes, pack a snack and water.

If you avoid the stairs at work, you should NOT get on this trail. Requires moderate fitness level but is very pretty. It is definitely worth the effort to make it to both lakes--I had a small snack at the first lake and took a little siesta at the upper lake, very serene and beautiful. Wear good hiking shoes because the trail can be gravelly, making it a little treacherous on the way down. Trail is very narrow against the mountainside in places. I saw a moose cow and her calf on the way down which was awesome!!

I frequent this trail every few weeks as it takes just over an hour to get to the lower lake and is a great workout! My Fitbit consistently reads this as a 6-mile out and back with 1500 feet gain to the lower, but this may be because I've got tiny legs. The falls about 10 minutes up the trail are incredible and the turns and sights as you push up are definitely worth it. Wild raspberries in mid to late August make the trip sweeter! Definitely my go-to get out of town hike. Haven't explored the upper lake yet but I'm going to in the next month!

Did this hike with husband for anniversary. nice little waterfalls along the way and rewarded with a pretty lake at the end

The trail sign said four miles and difficult, but All Trails has it listed at 5.5 and moderate...confusing. This hike is steep, but with the switchbacks you don't realize it until your way down. It was nice having plenty of spots for our dog to cool off and drink. I liked that there were key points to take rest before moving on....waterfall, old cabin,meadows and lower lake. I'm a beginning hiker, so I struggled with going another 1.5 miles to the upper lake. I'm so thankful we did, the fish were jumping like crazy and the view was spectacular. The berries were in abundance and the foot traffic was good. We will definitely be back and might camp overnight next time.

Nice hike..pretty much uphill the whole way. Getting to the upper lake is definitely worth it. lake was full of fish, and the people fishing were pulling them in left and right....will take my rod next time.

Great hike! Beautiful!!!

Beautiful views with a pretty decent uphill climb. ~10in trout were visible from the bank swimming around at upper basin. It was a good workout with nice visual rewards.

Easy stream crossing. Hiked in late May. Watch out for afternoon thunderstorms.