Whispering Pines Trail

Whispering Pines Trail is a 9.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ste Genevieve, Missouri that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and backpacking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Whispering Pines Loop Trail is a 9.2 mile loop trail consisting of two loops: the north loop is approximately six miles long and the south loop is approximately 3.75 miles. It meanders through a beautiful mixed hardwood and pine forest, crossing through streams and over scenic ridges. This trail is arguably the best, most scenic trail in the state. It has a little bit of everything, unusual rock formations, beautiful creeks, old forests, panoramic views, and wildlife. The trail can be strenuous at times, but the climbs are worthwhile as they afford fantastic views of the surrounding mountains. There is a connector trail that allows this trail to be cut in half to make a very nice shortened day hike. There are three backpacking campsites along the trail to accommodate an extended trip. This is one trail that should not be missed!

I hiked the north loop with my 4 year old this last weekend. We ended up at just about 6 miles, and it took us about 3.5 hours to complete, including a very leisurely lunch. There were 2 areas that required some effort, but most of the hike was simple. Beautiful scenic views. A couple of cliffs that, if you have little ones with you, you'll need to be cautious of. No bridges along the trail, so I imagine when the streams and waterfalls are full there might be some tricky crossings, but there wasn't much water flowing when we went.

My 4 year old managed the whole thing by himself. It was the hardest trail we've attempted so far with him, but definitely not "hard" to our normal standards. He did great up till the last mile, and then he was done and whiny but finished it. Definitely doable with a young child who loves being outside.

We plan to go back this next weekend and do the whole loop and stay the night. Definitely worth the trip!

Lovely 70 degree weather February 11, 2017.

Trails got confusing. Beautiful.

The best hike in a 100 mile radius of St Louis. I did the North Loop on Sunday morning and will be back soon to do the North and South Loops together. Pine needle covered paths through tall pines, waterfalls over step down exposed flat rock, lots of elevation changes but never overwhelming. 6.3 miles / 2hr 31min

I was supposed to just hike Whispering Pines but ended up hiking White Oaks and Pickle Creek as well. Beautiful scenery! The trails were pretty easy to follow. I'll definitely hike this one again some day :)

This is definitely the trail for a workout, but it is pretty well maintained throughout the seasons. Wear good shoes!

What was supposed to be an early December backpacking trip with an easy 6 mile hike in and 3 mile hike out; morphed in to a half-day 11-1/2 mile hike along both the Orange and Blue loops of Whispering Pines trail at Hawn State Park.

Thanks to Daniel Maners for joining in the fun and pushing me to go a further than i would have tried solo (longest day hike to date was 8 miles before this trip). In the end, this was my most rugged hike to date, with plenty of stream crossings and elevation changes.

In total we hiked 11.68 miles and climbed 1682ft, and descended 1697ft over the course of the trail, the whole hike took just over 6 hours with stopping for photos and playing on some rocks.

I will definitely be back to this trail and state park.

My favorite trail; it takes a lot out of me, but I love it!