Valley View Glades Trail

Valley View Glades Trail is a 2.8 mile loop trail located near Hillsboro, MO and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This dolomite glade is a designated Natural Area. Located in central Jefferson County, this 225- acre site is on Route B between Cedar Hill and Hillsboro. These glades have been only lightly disturbed by human activity. The plants and animals here are similar to those that were here at the time of settlement. The glades are dominated by little bluestem, Indian grass, big bluestem and prairie dropseed. The Fremonts leather flower occurs only in this part of Missouri. These glade communities are maintained by periodic prescribed fire and cedar removal. The area features pockets of blackjack oak as well as Eastern red cedar, post oak, flowering dogwood and fragrant sumac. This dry upland forested portion is one of the least disturbed of its type in this region. The small, intermittent streams that drain the glades add diversity. For such a small area, remarkable examples exist of stream ledges, waterfalls, overhangs and pools. Many kinds of snakes and lizards, as well as larger animals such as deer and turkey, inhabit this area.

I hike it about once a week cause I live close by. My dogs love it up there. We don't always stay on trail, we cut thru glades and explore. Lots of creeks, hills and rocks. After a good rain little water falls all over.

Great hike in all regards. Excellent views, varied terrain, and a good length. The full loop took us under 2 hours but it was a good workout for me.

All told this trail is the perfect afternoon trek.

the trail was nice. lots of wild life to enjoy and we'll marked. I usually go by myself and that gives me a great since of security

Awesome trail. Go after a rain and you will see many neat waterfalls.

One of the best trails in town!

very beautiful area. Kicked our butts but it was also 95°. Many nice ,dry waterfalls and gorgeous views.

Very well marked and enjoyable trail.

Beautiful hike! Trail is well marked. Trail does cross a dry stream in a few places that could become an issue if we have had a hard rain recently. It's a beautiful, natural area. I highly recommend it.

I've done this trail many times. My only complaint is some of the terrain can be pretty loose

Moderate trail. Well marked. It would be better in Spring or with more rain.

Trees down everywhere. other than that scenery was nice. great workout.

One of my faves

Great trail. I took my wife and 5 kids on this trail. I loved the diversity in the vegetation. Beautiful flowers and wonderful views in some spots. the especially loved the numerous creeks and waterfalls. can't wait to go back in the early fall.

I really enjoyed this hike with my son today! I started taking him on hikes here back when he was just 2 years old. He is now 16! This is a great intermediate trail that is just under 3 miles and quite diverse. The diversity includes numerous wildflowers, tiny waterfalls and stream crossings, ~400 ft of elevation gain as you explore the woods and glade terrain, several native bird species and squirrels galore.

just hiked this today. a beautiful 73 degree cloudless day, perfect for hiking. It has been. one of my shorter hikes, but by far one of the most strenuous! It has become a quick favorite of mine.