Trail of Tears State Park Pee-Wah Trail

Trail of Tears State Park Pee-Wah Trail is a 3.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jackson, MO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Peaceful, with some beautiful views of the Mississippi river, but definitely would wait a little later in the year to go when you can wear long pants! ticks and mosquitos were terrible

The first 1/3 of the trail was challenging to difficult with many hills and dry creek bed crossings - if one follows the red highlighted trail clockwise. the last part of the trail is actually a blacktop road. It is probably about a half mile. Other routes will avoid the blacktop. There was some vegetation leaning over the trail in some or more areas. long pants is suggested. Trail markers were nonexistent for about the first mile clockwise to the first 't'. Enjoy.

Peewah was beautiful and challenging.

Nice little trail with great views of the Mississippi river

Beautiful hike! Can't wait to do it again!

Great camp sites we had a blast!

Nice trail with nice scenic overlook of Mississippi if you take the detour to the east.

Good trail. Spiderwebs everywhere, but that's the time of year!

I hiked the Peewah trail two weeks ago. It is an awesome trail. I started on the red line, but I ended up on the yellow line because I thought that was the longer trail. I guess I should of been more aware of my trail before I started. If I ever visit Missouri again, I will definitely hike here again!!

This was a fabulous hike. I took the red section (about 5.75mi) and enoyed the trail. It is definately very wooded, trail was covered in leaves for the season, but was a very good trail. It was very peaceful, not too many people on it for a Sunday mid day.

Did the yellow loop very scenic and very buggy- don't forget your bug spray. I will do this trail again when cooler and leaves changing color and after they are down for some great views I'm sure!

The yellow east leg of the Pee Wah Trail is very scenic along the river. The trail head sign says 3.25 hours and they are not kidding. We did the whole trail and the spur and it took 3.25 hours. If you want to do a short hike then just go down to the fork in the trail and go right on the spur / scenic overlook. Well worth it. The portion of the yellow trail heading back to your car is a bit rugged with lots of poison ivy. Look for the yellow trail markers on the trees lest you end up hiking a creek bed...Saw a speckled king snake near the dry creek bed. See photos.

I have hiked this trail several times. I normally park at the trailhead by the gate (gate closed at 7:00 P.M.) and walk the red loop. It is approximately 5.8 miles if you only do the red trail. The red loop is not that scenic. It stays in the timber with no over looks. Be prepared for poison ivy because it is everywhere and it is thick. The yellow loop has it own trailhead with parking. This loop gets you closer to the river with several overlooks. There are a couple of spurs off of this trail that take you to bluff overlooks. The combined distance for both looks is around 8.5 miles.

Definitely enjoyable. I started with the lake trail to get the feel of the land before taking my dog out to Shepherd's Point. Lots of hill and rough terrain but lots of fun. I plan on backpacking there in the fall.

Great, dynamic trail with beautiful views of the Mississippi and Illinois. Older part of the trail is a tad rough around the edges and I would suggest hiking this trail when the leaves are off the trees for maximum views.