Sheppard Point Trail

Sheppard Point Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jackson, MO that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

Trail overlooks the Mississippi River. Steep climbs and water crossings.

Beautiful sights. Cool place to watch the river and you can see for miles.

Trail was closed but great river views near here.

Great trail but it is currently closed.

Lots of steep inclines! Was a blast but definitely a workout for my first actual hike. The river was flooded so we couldn't go all the way around the trail, so I will have to go back whenever the river recedes. Would love to do this trail in a bit cooler temperatures as the exertion and humidity made me wet all over with sweat. Still, it was a lot of fun with great views of the river.

I did this trail two weeks ago. It was 90 degrees with 64% humidity...yes I was crazy!! It was definitely a hike. It was suppose to be a loop hike, but it rained and the Mississippi River was flooded. When I got 1.8 miles into my hike, I had to turn around and go back due to the flooding. It was a climb uphill almost the whole way back. I also got eaten alive by mosquitos and a special horsefly that would not leave me alone. My fault though because I didn't use bug spray before my hike! I would definitely do this hike again, but I was there visiting/working for two weeks on assignment.

It's a beautiful trail! You will definitely get some exercise. There is quite a bit of hills. The trail was cleared very well when I hiked it. I went left of the fork you come across. You approach a creek, but it was still nice to explore that area.

This was a fairly intense trail. There were lots of steep up and downs as well as some over growth on the trail. I went with my dog and two friends. One of my friends is a hiker like me and the other isn't so much. She definitely regretted insisting on being able to handle this as her first real trail.

This is a nice trail in Trail of Tears State Park. The hike is a bit rugged with several ups and downs. You do get a nice view of the Mississippi from the top of the bluffs. We saw only a couple other people on our hike. We did come to a section of the trail where it drops down into a small valley that was a bit overgrown and weedy. We ended up picking up several ticks from that overgrown section of the trail. Overall, it is a nice hike though with a good view.