Rock Quarry Trail

Rock Quarry Trail is a 2.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Glencoe, MO that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Rockwoods Reservation is located in western St. Louis County. To reach Rockwoods Reservation, exit I-44 at Highway 109 and continue 4 miles north to Woods Avenue. Go left on Woods, then right on Glencoe Road.

Short trail but one of my favorites. I have walked this trail several times. I think it is like a childhood memory type of thing. Very easy trail. I remember hiking this with my grandma as a kid. Has a cool old quarry towards the end. To look at it requires leaving the trail fro a bit.

nice trail....I'm not a fan of paved foot paths...but besides that..i enjoyed it a lot. seemed busier than the other trails at Rockwood.

I've done this trail a couple of times - once in the early spring and once in the summer. Both times offer a different experience but are equally enjoyable. This trail climbs up to a nice elevation and descends pretty gradually. The trails are well-maintained and pretty wide. We went out the day after a pretty substantial rain and the trails were mostly dry except for a few damp sections (but not muddy). I would recommend bug spray or a bug bracelet as there are bugs, especially in the low-lying areas and hear the streams.

The second hike of the afternoon at Rockwoods Reservation, as the Lime Kiln Trail just wasn't long enough for us, was on the Rock Quarry Trail on a balmy February afternoon (2015-02-08), as the temps were in the mid 60's in the afternoon.

At a touch over 2 miles, this trail was an easy add on for the day. From the parking lot though, it goes straight up following switchbacks on a old gravel forest service road, before the trail transitions to a normal (albeit wide) trail at the top. This trail wasn't as "in it" as I had hoped for, and many of the big caves that I remembered as a kid have been fenced off, but there was still plenty to see along this short hike with just enough elevation change to make you appreciate it.

Love this trail. Love Rockwoods Reservation! Nice little hike with some hills, but not too intense. Neat sites along the trail.

This is just close enough to the house but far away enough for the kiddos for them to feel like we are on a true adventure. Perfect hike with 2 young girls. Just enough elevation to keep it interesting and short enough to forgo the complaining.