Ozark Trail: Trace Creek Section

Ozark Trail: Trace Creek Section is a 24 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Ozark, MO that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

24.0 miles Point to Point

old growth

Sometimes simple things are the best! While this section may not feature stunning vistas, waterfalls, fens or glades, it's still a pleasant walk in the woods, and simply delightful after a spring rain. This section is located in Washington and Iron counties and lies southwest of Potosi. The northern 18 miles of trail was constructed in 1968, with the last six miles added in 1983. To the north it connects with the Courtois section, to the south the Taum Sauk section, and in-between a new section of the Karkaghne is being built. It's open to foot, bike and equestrian traffic. A spur trail can be found near the section's midpoint that leads to the 12-mile Council Bluff loop trail. The northern Trace Creek section of trail (north of 32) is in very good shape for a hike/ride. You can extend your hike or bike ride by connecting into the Council Bluff Loop at Telleck Branch. South of Highway 32 to A - is also in great shape. All the signage has been replaced and there are just a few root balls and holes to look out for. Otherwise, this section is ready to go. Expect some seasonal growth, but this section has some very dedicated adopters, so it should not be a problem. There is a little illegal ATV activity in the Hazel Creek area, so watch for the OT signs. The trail's northern entry point is located at Hazel Creek Campground. From that point, it proceeds south following a continually changing landscape that leads users through dense oak, hickory, and pine forests, into shaded hollows, and across windswept ridgetops. It crosses several small tributaries and Hazel Creek, which is a major permanently flowing creek. It also crosses several state highways including C, DD, and 32 before ending at Highway A. trail users should exercise caution at these streams and highway crossings.

Did a 8.5 trek, not planned, but was great!

Very nice forest hike. Moderate difficulty. Went from Hazel creek to council bluffs lake.

As I said 8 months ago I was going on this Trace Creek section of the trail. it was a great hike and really enjoyed it. My group and I made a 2 dayer out of it. I could not got the mobile app to work reliably. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. The mileage was way off compared to the Garmin GPS we had also. I paused it the first night to save my battery and then when I turned it back on it cleared my previous track from the day before so it was basically useless.
The Trace Creek section was great but the link to the map above is NOT the Trace Creek section of the Ozark trail......It is some dinky trail near Ozark MO Completely different just for your info. However the few photos above are from the Trace Creek trail. I will post some of mine as soon as I can.

This has nothing to do with the Trace creek Section of the Ozark Trail. I will be hiking the Trace Creek section this weekend and will try to post info and a track of our hike if I can figure out how to do all that so far I haven't been having too much luck with the phone app. I can keep the track but the pics i take along they way are not saved to the track. I know there is a way to do it because I have seen others.

This needs some clarification... The Ozark Trail that's 26 miles is not where this is going to take you. The coordinates for this trail take you to a paved trail that's 3-4 miles long in Ozark, MO. Not quite the scenic trail I had my hopes up for. It does run along the Finley River and there are several places to go right up to it and dunk your toes in, so for a nice afternoon stroll is a great place. It's not a hike. It's all paved. If you're looking for the trail in the description of this, you need to be looking around Johnson's Shut - In. which by the way if you haven't been to, is a MUST DO for anyone who enjoys the outdoors. Google it, pack your swim suit and go.

I like this trail. It's near my home. It starts at the Ozark, Missouri Community Center.
You will want to wear some bug repellant if you go into the wooded part. Last time I was there I got lots of chiggers.