Opossum Hollow Trail; Knob Noster State Park

Opossum Hollow Trail; Knob Noster State Park is a 5.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Warrensburg, MO that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and mountain biking and is accessible from October until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The Opossum Hollow Trail is a 5.5 mile loop trail that takes you through managed hardwood woodland areas, restored prairie areas, areas filled with wildflowers, water crossings without bridges, steep grades and inclines of more than 10 percent.

Great trail. Marked well. TONS of seed ticks. We didn't have on strong enough bug spray and had close to a hundred ticks on our legs, inside our shoes and in our shirts.

Great trail. I saw two deer. Awesome workout.. Completed in about 2 1/2 hours. Some areas were great for running others a little to rocky. Overall a wonderful trail to hike!

It was a good 2 1/2 hours of straight hiking. Me and my girlfriend found two box turtles and that was fun.

Nice trail, and great to run.

The trail was perfect for me and my lil' frenchie! He had a blast! Some of the trail was blocked off due to the recent storms, but we managed to make the most of it! Will definitely be back!

Awesome trail super easy to follow and not to harsh on my wife who is new to hiking, not to many "wow" moments but lots of forest to explore as well!

This review is for the North Loop Trail; I couldn't find it listed on this site.

I chose the 2-mile North Loop Trail because I was short on time; I'd like to return and hike the Opossum Hollow Trail.
The North Loop Trail is nicely marked throughout, blazed in yellow. It offered good variety and some steady incline. I spotted two deer and a woodpecker. I had the trail to myself--saw no other hikers.
It was tricky to find the trail head; look for it directly behind the playground equipment that is adjacent to the campground.

Trail was nicely marked with red blaze and well maintained. Also had a few shortcuts marked along the way that headed back to the trailhead. Terrain was a mix of dirt, large rocks and roots but fairly easy to maneuver on foot. Several bikes passed us along the way but everyone was very respectful and excused themselves as they rolled through. Trail length was actually 6.2 miles from the trailhead sign and back but info board reads 5.5 miles.

Marked out good.

I find it shocking this trail is labeled as "easy". Maybe for hiking but definitely not for biking.

I've walked this trail for over 40 years. It is kept in great condition and I saw no poison ivy.

I was pleasantly surprised by the scenery on this trail. I did not expect it to be quite so pretty in this part of the state. It reminded me more of the Ozarks then Central Missouri. The only downside is that they don't allow back-packing on this trail. However, one could easily hike the trail and stay in a campsite....if I had all my equipment with me today, I would've done just that as we would've had the whole park to ourselves. Will keep this one on my short list of day-hike trails that are close to home. Well worth the hike! Saw 3 other people the whole way.

The trail is a good walk through the woods and has some things of interest; but typical of Missouri. A big plus is it is a nice loop trail, long enough to feel like you got out.